Health Care Tech
Position Type State
Close Date 11/20/2017 Salary $16.47 per hour + FULL BENEFITS Full/Part Time Part-time State Classified Hourly Yes Overtime Eligible Position Location Fort Collins, CO 80523
Description of Work Unit
The CSU Health Network at Colorado State University provides a full range of cost effective, on-campus, mental health and primary care medical services, referral for community specialty care and comprehensive health education and prevention services’ programming. Services such as physical therapy, dentistry and optometry are available. The CSU Health Network is active in creating a healthy campus environment to support learning and success. For more information about the CSU Health Network at Colorado State University, see http://www.health.colostate.edu.
The Medical Clinic at the CSU Health Network provides acute and chronic care to CSU students by appointments and on a walk-in basis for urgent concerns. Primary care physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners care for students, with emphasis on preventive care, education, and continuity. The medical staff are supported by a full range of laboratory, radiology, pharmacy, physical therapy, psychiatry, optometry, and nutrition services on site, and integrated care with counseling staff enhances the treatment of students with behavioral health concerns. Minor procedures are performed in the clinic. The Medical Clinic is open between the hours of 7:30 am-5:00 pm Monday—Friday with reduced hours over summer and breaks, providing attractive work schedules for staff.
This Medical Assistant assists and works under the supervision of the medical providers (Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and Physician Assistants, Licensed Social Workers, and nurses to aide in clinic flow, productivity, and continuity of care to patients in the CSU Health Network medical clinics. The Medical Assistant assists with the intake process (taking and documenting vital signs and assisting with completion of health records), assisting in the delivery of routine comfort measures (providing oral fluids, ice packs or bandages for minor injuries), nursing care (escorting or transporting patients to area of care, cleaning and bandaging abrasions or wounds) and observing, reporting, and documenting patient behavior during their visit at the health clinic. The Medical Assistant may perform venipuncture, point of care testing to facilitate diagnostic testing ordered by a medical provider, and other tasks delegated by nursing staff, such as establishing intravenous access.
This state classified position is categorized part-time, hourly without guaranteed hours. The typical hours during the academic year are 40 hours per week and shift to 32 hours per week during scheduled breaks (fall, winter, spring, and summer). Additional hours may be requested during breaks to cover employee absences (vacation, sick, other leave) or during other clinic events, not to exceed 40 hours per week.
The Medical Assistant will work in a primary area within the Clinic with the ability to flex in other areas if the approved training has been completed and competency has been established. The primary areas of the Clinic are Triage Clinic, Psychiatry, Women’s Clinic, Medical Clinic, and Immunizations Clinic.
CSU offers full benefits which include Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement programs and more. The University’s Commitment to Campus benefits program offers a wide range of programs, discounts and special benefits available to eligible faculty and staff. For more detailed information about CSU benefits, visit http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/ and http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/fap-insplans-new.pdf.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Current certification as Certified Medical Assistant in State of Colorado through AAMA or Registered Medical Assistant through AMT. In order to verify qualifications, please upload your license in the Applicant Documents section of the application.
• Graduation from a medical assistant program at a nationally accredited school. In order to verify qualifications, please upload unofficial transcripts in the Applicant Documents section of the application
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, abilities and other personal characteristics outlined as critical to this position:
- Demonstrated experience working with electronic record systems.
- Registered Medical Assistant.
- One year experience as a Medical Assistant in both Front and Back Office settings.
- CPR certification.
- Experience working with populations who have different mental illnesses or substance abuse.
- Strong written and verbal communication communication skills.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Direct and Indirect Patient Care (daily) Duty/Responsibility
This position works under the supervision of nursing or medical staff to provide direct patient care by:
- Assist with transport when needed (providing a wheelchair) if the patient presents with a health need that limits ambulation (such as a leg injury or fatigue and weakness).
- Obtain and document the patient’s health information (vital signs, height, weight, health history, and reason for visit).
- Assist with delivery and completion of various forms and paperwork.
- Assist with delivery of routine comfort measures for clinic patients including, but not limited to: provide oral fluids or administer over-the-counter analgesics such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen with guidance and supervision when ordered.
- Assist with treatment measures when the patient presents with an injury such as, but not limited to, applying a dressing or ice pack until a nurse or medical provider has seen the patient.
- Assist providers as needed to complete care (e.g. obtaining orthopedic supplies, assisting with splint application) and assist nursing staff to provide first aid care and other procedures as appropriate for the patient’s presenting health complaint (such as ear irrigation for cerumen impaction or splinter removal).
- Assist medical staff with the setup and completion of procedures such as laceration repair.
- Point of care testing in the clinic setting, report results to providers, and record related documentation.
- Venipuncture and accurate collection of blood samples for ordered lab tests.
- Establish intravenous access if delegated, under direction and supervision of nursing staff.
- Observe and report patient behavior.
- Provide indirect patient care by documenting patient information and treatment in the electronic health record and reviewing and signing off patient’s electronic health record. Assist in retrieval of other health records, taking patients to Referral Coordinator to obtain outside medical records (ER visits), escort patients to various ancillary services.
- Provide support/assistance in reception, patient scheduling, immunizations and other departments as needed.
- Assist in acupuncture clinic by removing needles after the session (psychiatry).
- Coordinate and monitor requested urine drug screen and controlled substance call appointments in buprenorphine clinic (psychiatry).
- Compile all information for all ADHD screening process (psychiatry).
- Schedule and monitor students taking computerized ADHD testing (psychiatry).
- Follow up on no-show psychiatry appointments to assure timely re-scheduling and providing safety screen.
- Assist with administrative tasks, such as scheduling, information collecting, and medical records requests for psychiatric evaluations.
- Assist with prior authorization phone calls and medication refill requests for psychiatry.
Percentage Of Time 80% Job Duty Category Environment (variable) Duty/Responsibility
- Assist in maintaining safe, clean, infection-controlled environment by performing equipment cleaning.
- Assist in maintaining availability of supplies in procedure and exam rooms as needed. Duties can vary depending upon equipment usage by providers.
Percentage Of Time 10% Job Duty Category Meetings (monthly/bimonthly) Duty/Responsibility
- Attend routine nursing staff meetings to keep abreast of current clinic and nursing information.
- Attend additional departmental meetings and educational activities.
Percentage Of Time 10% Application Details
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties you have performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the Work Experience section on the application. Human Resources must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that Human Resources can calculate full-time work experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the Application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- Positions requiring a degree or if using education as a substitution for work experience (eg: Associate or Bachelor’s) transcripts are required in order to verify receipt of the required degree or coursework. If official or unofficial transcripts are not supplied at the time of application, the Application is incomplete.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application; however, some positions may still require a resume as a component for complete application materials.
**Please see the Required Documents section of the posting.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from email@example.com. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check the Deleted and Junk folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your Application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the Help link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- If you have any questions about the hours for this position, please contact the Colorado State University Human Resources Office HR_Employment@mail.colostate.edu.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office HR_Employment@mail.colostate.edu.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Use, Handling, or Exposure to hazardous materials - including blood and other secretions., Special Requirements/Other - Must be willing and able to work 40 hours per week while school is in session and 32 hours per week during periods when students are on break (summer, Thanksgiving, winter, spring). Must obtain CPR Certification within 6 weeks of start date. EEO Statement
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Employment and Appeal Rights
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination. Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb.
A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you willing and able to submit to a pre-employment background check that may include, but is not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history as a condition of hire?
- * Are you willing and able to use, handle, or be exposed to hazardous materials with training?
- * This state classified position is categorized part-time, hourly without guaranteed hours. The typical hours during the academic year are 40 hours per week and shift to 32 hours per week during scheduled breaks (fall, winter, spring, and summer). Additional hours may be requested during breaks to cover employee absences (vacation, sick, other leave) or during other clinic events, not to exceed 40 hours per week. Are you willing and able to work this schedule? **If you have any questions about the hours for this position, please contact the Colorado State University Human Resources Office HR_Employment@mail.colostate.edu.
- * Are you willing and able to obtain CPR certification within six weeks of hire?
- * Are you currently a Certified Medical Assistant through AAMA OR a Registered Medical Assistant through AMT?
- * Have you graduated from a medical assistant program at a nationally accredited school?
- * Do you have at least one year of experience as a Medical Assistant in both front and back office settings?
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- List of Professional References
- Veteran DD214 Form (Member-4) (For State Classified searches ONLY)
- Unofficial Transcripts