Research Professional Position No
Posting Number 201700897AP
Position Type Admin Professional/ Research Professional Number of Vacancies Work Hours/Week 40 Proposed Annual Salary Range Annual salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, typically starting at $65,000 Desired Start Date Position End Date (if temporary) Open Posting Date Open Until Filled Yes To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 11/26/2017
Description of Work Unit
The Information Technology Services group (ITS) of the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (CVMBS) provides technical support for a variety of IT services. This group is responsible for the administrative support of thousands of computing devices and also provides systems analysis and programming support for the CVMBS. This includes the Office of the Dean, four academic departments, the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratories (VDL), and other units of the Veterinary Medical Center.
The mission of the CVMBS IT Services unit is to facilitate the mission of a world-class college with efficient and effective information technology in pursuit of the college’s goals in teaching, research, outreach, and clinical service of the College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences.
As a professional software engineer within the CVMBS, this position will work independently and within a small team to develop and integrate software solutions as well as perform system analysis. This position reports to the Manager of Software Development for the CVMBS IT group.
Required Job Qualifications
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or closely related field with at least two years of professional experience in the programming areas described below. A master’s degree can be used to substitute one year of professional experience in professional software development programming experience.
• Two years or more of professional experience of relational databases design and SQL programming using different database management systems.
• Demonstrated strong experience with object oriented programming and n-tiered architecture.
• Demonstrated strong knowledge about Agile/SCRUM software development process.
• Demonstrated strong knowledge of integrating different systems utilizing applicable technologies.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of the team.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a customer service orientation.
• “Can do attitude” as demonstrated by enthusiasm and confidence in acquiring new technical skills to better support the College’s technical needs.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Master’s degree in in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or closely related field.
• More than three years of practical experience of Agile/SCRUM software development process.
• Practical Experience with Design Patterns.
• More than two years of practical experience with mobile app development using different programming languages with different OS and IDE environment.
• At least one years of Professional experience of Source Code version control and release administration using TFS and GitHub.
• Working knowledge of various workflow processes and procedures, including but not limited to Veterinary Teaching Hospital medical records, Veterinary Teaching Hospital registration and billing, Laboratory, and educational doctoral program of veterinary medicine
• Experience with Informix database and 4GL language programming.
• Knowledge about IIS.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Software Development Duty/Responsibility
• Design and develop Restful API’s to be used across many environments
• Create test scenarios and test data. Perform quality checks as required.
• Investigate new technologies and discuss findings with the development group.
Percentage Of Time 20 Job Duty Category Database Design and Programming Duty/Responsibility
• Design new databases as required primarily using MS SQL server and Informix
• Design the Entity-Relationship diagrams and identify the attributes and the relationships between these attributes and the cardinalities.
• Data mining from multiple internal and external data resources.
• Define database objects and database users.
• Develop TSQL.
• Investigate new technologies and discuss findings with the development group.
Percentage Of Time 20 Job Duty Category Systems Integration Duty/Responsibility
• Gather and analyze data to establish system requirements.
• Draft plans, technical designs, and other systems integration related documents.
• Research, evaluate, and recommend solutions / technologies based upon user needs.
• Interface with various team members such as administration and support staff.
• Develop and conduct testing plans and procedures based upon system recommendations.
Percentage Of Time 20 Job Duty Category Business Analysis Duty/Responsibility
• Gather requirements from the end users.
• Document business processes.
• Document application design.
• Act as a liaison between departmental end users and developers.
Percentage Of Time 20 Job Duty Category Source Code Administration and Deployment Duty/Responsibility
• Manage source code for multiple projects and ensure development team can access and build their code using source control management system, primarily with Team Foundation Server.
• Create and manage TFS project branches to include source code repositories, TFS SharePoint sites, and Reporting Server capabilities.
• Ensure proper labeling and branching strategies re-enforced.
• Add build definitions for software deployments and releases.
• Set permissions for TFS and related SharePoint project access.
• Plan and implement TFS upgrades.
• Plan, coordinate, and lead software and system deployment.
Percentage Of Time 10 Job Duty Category Routine System Maintenance and Support Duty/Responsibility
• Investigate and report solutions to technical problems. Provide evidence of advantages and disadvantages of competing solutions.
• Assist and train departmental members in the development and implementation of software systems.
• Provide support to internal and external users.
• Support users after work hours during on-call duties.
Percentage Of Time 10 Application Details
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prospective candidates should submit electronically, materials consisting of (1) a letter of interest addressing each of the required and preferred qualifications; (2) resume; and (3) email addresses and telephone numbers of three individuals, one of whom was an immediate supervisor, who has firsthand knowledge of applicant’s professional abilities.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires) Search Contact Joe Streckerfirstname.lastname@example.org/970-492-4174 EEO Statement
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Minimum Requested 3 Maximum Requested 3 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter