Assistant Professor of Health Services Management
The Assistant Professor of Health Services Management is required by the School of Public Health & Primary Care in the delivery of teaching and programme development of the Health Services Management (HSM) program in the Department of Public Health & Health Services Management. The incumbent will be responsible for research and publications in the HSM areas including both the policy and operational health research, consultancy in the HSM area within the university’s policies and administrative obligations directed by the Head of Department, Head of School, Dean, and Vice Chancellor.
The primary purpose of this position is to develop HSM curriculum, teach HSM courses, conduct HSM and related research, and conduct consultancies in the field of HSM and public health in the School of Public Health and Primary Care (SPHPC). The successful applicant will have to bring necessary HSM knowledge and skills required to help build and support the necessary capacities for both the HSM staff and students. He/She will be part of the Department of Public Health and Health Services Management (DPHHSM) and will be required to also closely interact with the other two departments in the SPHPC, as well as other relevant academic entities in the Fiji National University. The successful applicant will need to liaise closely with local Ministry of Health and regional and international health agencies, government partners and industries to provide academic support for the department and School of Public Health and Primary Care.
- Competently teach health services management (HSM) courses at any levels in both the UG and PG in the Department/ School/ and College using both methods, i.e. Face to Face and Online mode (FNU Moodle).
- Prepare, design, and be able to develop the HSM overall curricula, competent HSM course administrator, team player and to provide student counselling and guidance.
- Competently initiate and support development and management of the HSM program and other programs in the department as required;
- Can confidently supervise both the UG and PG students as appropriate and be able to initiate capacity building and continual upgrading and developing of HSM courses and programs in the School of Public Health & Primary Care.
- Provide strategic research development leadership, supervision and managing of Master’s thesis in the field of HSM and other HSM related research topics.
- Develop strategic relationships with other research centres within the FNU and beyond and provide guidance and support to junior staff in developing research capacity through projects and publications;
- Coordinate research activity in the HSM area, through preparation of research proposals, collaborate with other educational institutions, writing papers in the HSM area, presenting research findings in seminars and conferences, publishing academic papers in refereed academic journals, reports, monographs and books.
PHD in health management or public health relevant discipline with either a formal tertiary teaching qualification or a good relevant tertiary (normally an aggregate of four years) teaching experience. In exceptional cases, a good Masters degree in Health Management or public health with a formal tertiary teaching qualification or several years of relevant tertiary teaching experience or several years of relevant industry experience may be considered.
An attractive salary commensurate with qualifications and abilities will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Applications must be submitted online using the University’s online job applications system which can be accessed at this address: waf.fnu.ac.fj/eoi/
Incomplete applications will not be considered, therefore your submission as a complete application must include:
- Cover letter with Job Ref. No. and Position
- Detailed CV with at least contacts of 3 referees
- Certified academic credentials & transcripts
Should you have any queries, please email on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted by Fiji National University, then your application has not been successful.
College of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences
School of Public Health
Suva – Hoodless House