Rodent Colony Co-ordinator
Rodent Colony Coordinator, La Trobe Animal Research and Teaching Facility (LARTF)
- Supervise and support breeding and research activities in an area within La Trobe Research and Teaching Facility (LARTF)
- Oversee the performance of rodent breeding throughout the LARTF
- Full time, continuing role based at our Melbourne (Bundoora) campus
- $73,573 to $79,638 per annum plus up to 17% superannuation
About La Trobe
La Trobe University’s success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. La Trobe University turns 50 in 2017, and over the half century of its existence it has established a reputation as an innovative and accessible university, willing to take risks and take on challenges. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we’re passionate about driving change through operational excellence to benefit the communities we serve.
LARTF is responsible for the care, husbandry, colony management, welfare and health monitoring of animals within LARTF facilities. LARTF works closely with the La Trobe Animal Ethics Committee (AEC) and the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) to ensure research and teaching using animals at La Trobe University is in accordance with best practice and remains compliant with regulatory requirements.
About the role
In this role you will supervise an area and team within the La Trobe Animal Research and Teaching Facility (LARTF) and oversee activities relating to the maintenance, monitoring and breeding of rodents across all facility areas. You will ensure research activities and rodent breeding is undertaken in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures, Animal Ethics and Institutional Biosafety approvals while liaising with stakeholders to ensure the breeding colony performance meets the needs of research and teaching activities. You will also develop relevant systems and provide or source technical support, assistance and training where needed.
Skills & Experience
To be considered for this role you will have completed a Degree qualification with relevant experience or have an equivalent combination of knowledge, training and experience; including but not limited to:
- Expertise in rodent colony management including complex genetically modified strains
- Capacity to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders and manage up and/or down across multiple areas.
- Familiarity with the relevant legislation, regulations and guidelines.
- Strong organisational, computer, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to contribute to strategic planning and resource allocation to meet business needs
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team
- Capacity to organise and prioritise activities and work autonomously or as part of a team to deliver results
Please refer to the Position Description(s) for other skills and experience required for this role.
Please click on this link for a full list of Benefits http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs/working/benefits
How to Apply
Closing date: Sunday 26 November 2017
This position is open to people with a valid full-time working visa.
Position Enquiries: Christine Findlay, Senior Manager La Trobe Animal Research and Teaching Facility (LARTF) + 61 3 9479 2537 / email@example.com
Please address Key Selection Criteria from the attached position description and attach these with your application.
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
Please scroll down to apply.
La Trobe University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For further enquiries on how to apply for this role, please contact Kerryn Harbert, Recruitment Advisor +61 3 9479 1623.
To apply and to view position description please visit http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs and search for job no (552724) under current vacancies.
La Trobe is proud to be a member of the SAGE Athena SWAN program to advance gender equality in academia.