FACULTY OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT
School of Marine Studies
The appointee will be responsible for training Junior Technicians, support staff, and for the day to day organisation of the Marine Studies laboratories and field practical. She/he will be required to coordinate and set up practical laboratory and field classes for undergraduate students, provide technical assistance to postgraduate students, and the maintenance of aquariums and equipment. She/he should be highly experienced with all laboratory procedures in marine sciences including chemicals, equipment, microscopes, centrifuges, etc., other duties include basic repair and maintenance of equipment used for teaching and research across the School.
The Person We Seek
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- Postgraduate qualifications or significant progress towards postgraduate qualifications (e.g. thesis under examination) and extensive relevant experience and/or education/training in Marine Sciences;
- At least two years of combined experience working as a technician in a Marine Sciences laboratory including aquaculture facilities;
- Completed the training modules 1&2 and the First Aid and Fire Warden courses of the Occupational, Health and Safety Department;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills in English both written and oral;
- A good team player with leadership skills;
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite and desktop publishing software and good customer service orientation;
- At least two years of experience in field work in coastal environments including practical work in the field with undergraduate students ;
- Competent swimming abilities and skin diving experience.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Ability to face technical jobs, both in the laboratory and in the field, willingness to work after normal hours as team leader;
- Extensive experiences as tutor of Marine Studies undergraduate units.
The position is available for a term of 3 years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Salary Range: Band 2 FJ $48, 388 to FJ $58, 066 per annum (Inclusive of 15% Gratuity)
Enquiries: Professor Ciro Rico; tel.: (679) 32 32960; email: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 19 November 2017
How to Apply
Candidates may use the University’s online E-Recruitment system to view full details and apply for this position at https://www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj Manual and emailed applications are no longer accepted. Candidates may request further information from the Human Resources Office; tel.: (679) 32 32072; email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Please also include the following documents in your application: Cover letter and Resume clearly addressing key Selection Criteria, academic transcript and names of three referees, one of which must be your current or most recent direct work supervisor.