Vice President for Research, Innovation & Graduate Studies (Senior Lecturer)
Vice President for Research, Innovation & Graduate Studies (Senior Lecturer 3)
Job Reference number VPRES001
Employer: Waterford Institute of Technology
Commencement Date: Immediately
Contract Duration: Permanent
Reporting to: The President and a member of the Institute’s executive team, the post holder will direct the strategic development of research, innovation and graduate studies at the Institute.
The Institute invites applications for the above post
WIT is a research leader in the IoT sector. The Institute has secured over €140 million in competitive, external research funding in the last ten years. At the core of the Institute’s research ethos is its commitment to engagement and knowledge exchange with research partners, regional and national stakeholders and industry. WIT has developed an extensive network of academic research collaborators at a national and EU level and more recently with institutes in the United States and Asia. WIT has an established record of large scale research collaborations with both indigenous enterprise and multi-nationals. It also has a demonstrable track record in delivering impact through the commercialisation of research and transfer of technology and knowledge.
The post holder will play a key role in the development and implementing the Institute’s Research & Knowledge Transfer Strategy in collaboration with the Strategy office. The candidate will work closely with Heads of School and Research Institutes ensuring alignment of School / Research Institute’s strategies with the overall Institute research strategy. He/She will ensure that research resources and investment at all levels of the Institute are focused on maximising regional impact and enhancing the Institute’s national and international profile.
The successful candidate will have responsibility for creating and strengthening strategic partnerships with national and international academic institutions, national and EU research sponsors and government agencies.
The candidate will have executive responsibility for the development and implementation of the Institute’s Structured PhD Programme and positioning WIT as a leading provider of postgraduate education. He / she will have responsibility for leading the delivery of the Institute’s HR Strategy for Researchers Action Plan as approved by the EU in 2014.
The person will be responsible for the intellectual and financial sustainability of the Institute’s research base. He / she will be responsible for co-ordinating institutional preparation and submission of proposals pertaining to the development of research, innovation and graduate studies. The candidate holds executive responsibility for research management and administration of externally sponsored research and will ensure adherence to good governance and practice in this regard. The role will also involve chairing and attending a number of committees and working groups.
The Vice President for Research, Innovation & Graduate Studies will oversee the direction and ongoing development of the work of the Research, Innovation & Postgraduate Support Services at the Institute, including the Research Support Unit, ArcLabs Innovation Centre, the Technology Transfer Office and the Graduate Studies Office.
The post holder may be required to undertake other duties commensurate with the nature and level of the post as directed by the President.
Qualifications - Essential
- Candidates for this senior academic management post must hold an honours primary degree or equivalent relevant to the post on offer and must also possess a postgraduate qualification at Doctoral level.
- Applicants should have 10 years appropriate experience of postgraduate research in a leading research environment subsequent to obtaining the minimum academic qualifications.
Experience / Knowledge - Essential
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate a track record of research leadership and success in securing research funding.
- Candidates should also have a track record of publications in high impact research journals and experience in the supervision of research students to PhD level.
- Candidates should have a proven record of leading and working with team members and graduate students to help build their research skill and knowledge and to support and guide their professional development.
- Candidates should have experience in developing strategic partnerships with external stakeholders in academia, government / public sector organisations and industry / community.
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of the research funding landscape in addition to research, innovation and enterprise development policy at national and international level.
- Candidates should have knowledge of good corporate governance practices and research integrity policy.
- Evidence of leadership in advancing gender equality is desirable.
Skills - Essential
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate leadership and management skills including a commitment to high performance and continuous improvement.
- Candidate should have proven influential skills and the ability to represent the Institute’s interests in policy debates at regional, national and international level.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills are essential in particular, ability to present research outputs to different stakeholders.
Attributes - Essential
- Applicants must demonstrate strategic and analytic approach.
- Candidate should have a creative and innovative approach to problem – solving.
- The position requires an ability to motivate, influence and lead diverse stakeholders.
Salary: The gross salary applicable to the post (Senior Lecturer 3) is: €79,733 - €101,579
Closing Date of Advert: 16:00 on Friday 17th November 2017
Applications must be made by submitting:
a) A short (i.e. no more than 2 pages) cover letter/ personal statement outlining why you wish to be considered for the post and where you believe your skills and experience meet the requirements of Vice President for Research, Innovation & Graduate Studies position.
b) A CV detailing your previous relevant experience relating to this role.
Please address to Ms. Ruth Hennebry, The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Institute will shortlist only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post.
Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hard copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
This post is subject to Garda Vetting
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.