Director of Clinical Research
About the role
We are seeking an outstanding individual to fill the newly created position of Director of Clinical Research to provide oversight, leadership, and guidance in the management and execution of clinical research at Mater, as an executive of a Company Limited by Guarantee (Mater Medical Research Institute Ltd) and as a Faculty Level Institute of The University of Queensland (Mater Research Institute – UQ).
Mater Research, located in Brisbane, Australia, is a world class facility that is committed to academic medicine and aims to discover, develop, translate, and commercialise medical research that integrates with relevant areas of excellence within clinical practice. As part of the senior executive, the Director will work collaboratively with the executive to establish research priorities and assess organisational processes associated with clinical research and create a research program that influences future national and international health policy and practice, through integration of Mater Research with clinical care.
The Director’s portfolio includes overseeing the performance of multidisciplinary health outcomes-focused research within the Mater healthcare environment, in areas identified as pivotal to Mater Group’s Health-Education-Research strategy, and including the integration of clinical and biomedical research by working closely with the Director of Biomedical Research.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience
What you'll be doing
Key Accountabilities will include:
- Fostering a culture and environment of innovative clinical research excellence through the development of research teams and translational research projects.
- Providing academic and administrative leadership within the institute by participating in the development and delivery of policy and strategy.
- Partnering with the CEO, Director of Biomedical Research and Director of Operations to establish the vision and strategic planning for all research at Mater, and to ensure delivery of the strategic plan, particularly with respect to clinical research.
- Working closely and collaboratively with the Director of Biomedical Research to promote and develop the research activities at Mater Research.
- Assuring the strategic vision, direction and management of clinical research at Mater.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for multi-disciplinary internal and external collaborations and development of flagship research projects.
- Lead role in the strategic and operational aspects of relationships with the Mater Group, not least in representing Mater Research at Clinical Council.
- Identifying and recruiting high-calibre senior research staff that fit with the strategic objectives of Mater Research.
- Driving a personal program of internationally recognised clinical research with success in national/international grant funding, and successful mentoring of early career researchers and research students. This may include health services research, data analytics, translating research into practice, clinical trials and research in health education.
To be successful in this role you will possess the following:
- Relevant clinical qualification(s) and a Research Higher Degree.
- It is expected that the successful applicant will be appointable at The University of Queensland at Level E (Professor) or Level D (Associate Professor).
- Demonstrated extensive and broad experience in leading, motivating and developing interdisciplinary clinical research teams to deliver complex research projects involving multiple stakeholders and in changing environments.
- Proven professional leadership qualities, capacity for executive administrative responsibilities and working as part of a leadership team.
- A high level of interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with executive level staff, members of the academic, clinical, professional, and industry sectors, and the general community.
- Strong history of interactions and experience with national and international research organisations and funding agencies, with strong knowledge of the health research funding sector.
- Evidence of sustained relationships with industry, government and/or professional bodies and a proven track record of successfully navigating complex areas, especially advocacy, policy and the promotion of new thinking.
- Proven experience in fostering a transparent environment that encourages strong partnerships and mutual trust between team, sub-teams and leaders.
- Ability to establish work priorities and set realistic goals, meet deadlines and organise a work environment ensuring efficient team participation.
- Relevant experience in the management of clinical trials and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Substantial achievement in health research is required as evidenced by a strong track record of publication, attracting competitive research funding fellowships and Higher Degree Research (HDR) supervisions.
Why join us?
In return for your skills you will have the opportunity to work for an Australian leader in the fields of Health, Research and Education who is making a significant difference to health outcomes. Mater provides benefits not offered in other workplaces. In addition to being part of a workplace that offers compassionate care in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy, pioneers in the provision of healthcare to Queensland for over 100 years, you will have opportunities to increase your take-home pay with our salary packaging options. Your employment package will also include research support.
Applications should include a cover letter, full academic curriculum vitae and contact details of two professional referees.
Applications close 08 December 2017. Please contact Prof John Prins firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for Director of Clinical Research
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly