Arabic Writing Specalist
Student Affairs, Student Learning Center
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Student Affairs contributes to the educational mission of Qatar University by providing innovative opportunities, quality programs, and efficient services that enrich the students’ learning experience and their personal development.
Qatar University was founded in 1973 and is a member of the Arab Universities Federation and the International Federation of Universities. Qatar University offers Foundation programs as well as Undergraduate and Graduate degree programs to over 8,000 enrolled students. Please visit the QU website (www.qu.edu.qa) to learn more about our degree programs, our research, university facilities, and campus life.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Instructs writers of all levels and disciplines on a variety of writing assignments and projects in the Arabic language, such as creative writing, lab reports, research papers, theses, resumes and job search correspondence, proposals, and freshman compositions.
- Teaches grammar, sentence structure, essay formats, and other elements related to Arabic writing that students may lack.
- Develops and teaches Arabic writing workshops and in-class writing presentations on a variety of writing topics.
- Creates new, and identifies existing, paper and electronic writing resources for students.
- Records and supervises tutees’ session summary records.
- Tracks individual students’ writing progress and regularly communicates with faculty on student writing needs and other writing-related issues. Maintains individual student files.
- Refers students to other campus support services such as peer tutoring, the Counselling Center, Library, etc., when appropriate.
- Trains Arabic writing peer tutors and evaluates them on a regular basis.
- Writes and maintains a pool of Arabic writing questions to test peer tutors and students when/as needed.
- Translates QU Writing Lab documents, such as newsletters,website contents, articles, and hand-outs for publishing on-line or printing.
- Edits current Arabic documents on the QU Writing Lab website.
- Participates in New Student Orientation and College orientation sessions
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in formal Arabic language or relevant field. Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Two or more years of recent experience in teaching and/or tutoring Arabic required. A high level of proficiency in written and spoken Arabic and strong interpersonal skills necessary.
- Good knowledge of English for translating written documents from English to Arabic and Arabic to English.
- Ability to work flexible hours and respond to student needs and faculty inquiries in a professional and timely manner.Knowledge of undergraduate curriculum and multi ethnic students in an academic setting is highly desired.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.