Research Data Analyst
The Social and Economic Survey Research Institute
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
The Social and Economic Survey Research Institute (SESRI), with a research and an educational mission, has been established at Qatar University to conduct high-quality survey research of current and future social and economic issues. SESRI is an initiative of Qatar University, in association with the Institute for Social Research (ISR ) at the University of Michigan. Founded in 1977, Qatar University (http://www.qu.edu.qa/) is the national university of the state of Qatar, an established and dynamic institution dedicated to academic and research excellence. Established in 1948, the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research (http://www.isr.umich.edu/) is among the world’s oldest academic survey research organizations, and a world leader in the development and application of social science methodology.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The Research Data Analyst will work closely with Principal Investigators and the research team on the processing, cleaning, documentation, and support of datasets collected by SESRI, under the guidance of the Senior Research Data Analyst.
- Receive datasets and documentation in various storage formats, and convert those storage formats to the ones used by SESRI for processing, dissemination, and archiving.
- Share responsibility for the protection of human subjects (respondents) by removing identifying information from datasets and storing it in a separate location; identifying other sets of variables that pose a risk to respondent identification, or are otherwise sensitive or restricted and acting accordingly, in compliance with SESRI guidelines and in coordination with the Senior Research Data Analyst
- Process final questionnaires for release to the public on the website
- Process and clean datasets, including but not limited to checking for outliers, skip pattern errors, duplicate records, unusual or unexpected research results, non-response bias, weighting problems, interviewer misconduct, data collection problems, and methodological issues, and then working closely with Principal Investigators and research staff members to suggest and implement strategies to correct for identified errors; creating derivative, summary, and identification variables; and merging additional data sources to the dataset as necessary;
- Develop codebooks in close coordination with the Principal Investigator, including metadata, study descriptions, study design information, sponsor and other credits, citation formats, methodological reports, research notes, data use instructions, help files, summary tables, processing notes, error reports, bibliographical references, and information about the included variables (names, variable labels, variable descriptions, question text, code values and labels, missing data indicators, distributions, and skip patterns, among other items).
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor degree or Master degree in a relevant field such as statistics or the social sciences.
- Good level in English and/or Arabic (both written and verbal)
- Knowledge of a statistical package such as SAS, SPSS, STATA, and R
- Experience and interest in working with data
- Organized and with excellent attention to detail
- Strong customer service and team orientation
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.