Tracking Code 9116/K0817
Software engineers at the Hariri Institute for Computing contribute to a variety of cutting-edge computational and data-driven research efforts while developing their skills in the latest technologies within a professional software engineering environment. The projects undertaken by Hariri Institute software engineers have tangible and direct impacts on academic research, public service, and industry partners in healthcare, finance, and technology.
As a full-stack software engineer, you will work within an agile team defining and building prototypes and production-quality open source libraries, applications, systems, and databases in domains such as genetic circuit design and synthetic biology, biomedical engineering, neuroscience, digital health, and others. Opportunities for full-stack development work outside of these domains will also be available. This role provides the flexibility to identify and prioritize efforts and to shape the long-term vision of our research agenda. In addition to working with other professional software engineers, you have the opportunity to collaborate with researchers at Boston University and beyond who are nationally respected as leaders in their corresponding areas of research. Additionally, we expect you to take advantage of opportunities to develop new skills in almost every project and enjoy tackling diverse challenges in a flexible work environment, and to mentor software engineer interns.
The Hariri Institute for Computing catalyzes, enables, and supports interdisciplinary research efforts across Boston University.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
- One to three years of academic or professional experience.
- Significant programming experience with contemporary programming languages.
- Experience with modern relational and/or NoSQL database stacks.
- Hands-on experience with cloud computing services.
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix systems.
- Exposure to APIs and other web services within integrated applications.
- Exceptional ability and motivation to learn fast and solve problems.
- A passion to impact science and society, and strong desire to work independently in a fast-paced dynamic environment where you have significant responsibilities.
- MA/MS degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
- One to three years of experience in a relevant area (e.g., software engineering within a research environment).
- Advanced or graduate-level coursework in efficient algorithms, data structures, scheduling algorithms, network science, programming languages, or related areas.
- Experience with MATLAB or R.
- Experience with contemporary big data processing approaches (e.g., Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark).
- Knowledge of continuous integration/deployment, unit testing, analytics, and other project management workflows and technologies.
This position is contingent upon the availability of grant funding.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular