French Studies, European Studies and Spanish & Latin American Studies
School of Humanities and Languages
University of New South Wales Sydney
The School of Humanities and Languages in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is currently seeking expressions of interest in casual teaching from suitably qualified applicants who would be eligible to teach, if required, the following undergraduate courses:
French Studies (language courses)
- ARTS1480 Introductory French A
- ARTS1481 Introductory French B
- ARTS2480 Intermediate French A
- ARTS2481 Intermediate French B
- ARTS3480 Advanced French A
- ARTS3481 Advanced French B
- ARTS3482 Professional French A
- ARTS3483 Professional French B
French Studies (taught in English)
- ARTS2482 French Cinema and Society
- ARTS2484 The Lives of the Impressionists and Other Artists
- ARTS2485 Exploring French Linguistics
- ARTS2486 The French Speaking World
- ARTS3487 French Popular Culture
French Studies (taught in French)
- ARTS3484 On Friendship in French Texts & Film
- ARTS3486 Approaches to Spoken French
- ARTS3487 Key French Texts
- ARTS3488 French Discourse Studies
European Studies (taught in English)
- ARTS1780 Concepts of Europe
- ARTS1782 Contemporary Europe in Crisis: Power and Culture
- ARTS3780 Contemporary Germany: History, Politics and Society since 1945
Spanish & Latin American Studies (taught in English)
- ARTS2905 Frida Kahlo*
- ARTS3574 Topics in Latin(o) American Cinema
- ARTS3575 Spanish Popular Culture
* Please note this is not an art history course, but addresses Kahlo and other artists’ work and lives within their social and cultural context with a focus on Mexican identity and gender.
For more information about the School of Humanities and Languages including Course Outlines from the last time courses were taught, visit: https://hal.arts.unsw.edu.au/
Applicants must meet the following selection criteria:
- they must have a Bachelor degree with Honours or a Masters degree in a relevant discipline (or equivalent professional experience);
- they must have demonstrated relevant teaching experience, including proficiency with learning technologies such as Learning Management Systems and other digital tools, application and platforms, preferably at tertiary level;
- they must be entitled to work in Australia at time of application.
Preference will be given to applicants who can provide evidence of high teaching quality, of a preparedness to engage in professional development and of a collaborative approach.
Current Higher Degree Research (HDR) candidates (MA Research or PhD) are encouraged to apply. For HDR students, expectations with regard to teaching experience will be considered subject to opportunity. Current HDR candidates at UNSW should be between 1 and 3 years (full time enrolment) in candidature in 2018.
To be considered for casual teaching in 2018-19, applications must be received by 26 November 2017. Please submit an online application consisting of a cover letter outlining how you meet the selection criteria and how you could contribute to teaching one or more of the courses listed above, as well as a CV detailing your educational qualifications, relevant experience and referees. Please indicate clearly in your letter which individual courses you are applying for.
Please note that the immediate result of a successful application in response to this call for Expressions of Interest will not be an offer of employment but the applicant’s inclusion within a pool of eligible teachers to be called on as required. Please note that any teaching roles required for a particular course in a given teaching session may range from tutoring through to full course coordination, lecturing and tutoring.
All employment details, including the duties required, duration of employment and relevant pay rates, will be confirmed with the successful applicant(s) prior to the commencement of duty. Offers of employment will be made in accordance with the UNSW (Academic Staff) Enterprise Agreement 2015 (https://www.hr.unsw.edu.au/services/indrel/Academic_EA_2015_Final.pdf), or its successor.
Ms Christa Mobbs, School Manager
T: (61 2) 9385 1188
Applications close: 11:59 pm Sunday 26th November 2017