Description of Work Unit
The Department of Construction Management is a very collegial and supportive group that serves one of the largest construction management programs in the country with approximately 800 undergraduate majors and 30 graduate students. The undergraduate program is accredited by the American Council for Construction Education. The department engages in teaching, scholarly, and outreach activities to promote the development of knowledge and skills related to construction management. www.cm.colostate.edu
This full time position provides professional management and guidance in all budgetary operations and implements all financial and human resource policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure the integrity of the department. This person reports directly to the Department Head and works as a member of the department’s administrative team. This is a 12 month administrative professional position. The successful applicant will have a strong work ethic, a willingness to serve in a broad variety of roles as needed, and be dedicated to the mission of the Department.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field plus 1 year demonstrated work experience in an accounting / financial capacity at a professional level.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills both verbal and written.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field.
- 3 or more years of progressively responsible professional experience
- Experience with CSU accounting and information systems including Kuali, Oracle, TimeClock-Plus, TMS, and Vista Plus
- Experience with personnel management
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Financial Management Duty/Responsibility
- Management/oversight of all departmental accounts
- Provide coordination, creation, administration and oversight of budgets and develop management reports.
- Perform budget projections and modeling.
- Manage grant proposals and awards to include complex budget development, cost shares, staffing on grants, compliance, etc.
Percentage Of Time 35% Job Duty Category Operations and program management Duty/Responsibility
- Serve the Department Head in critical missions including: general administration relating to budgeting, HR management, research and facilities management, IT related issues, etc. coordinating with the college and university business offices for consistent management and oversight.
- Participates directly in the formulation of department policies, ensuring that department fiscal and personnel practices are in compliance with university regulations, policies, and appropriate laws; interprets university and department policies, and advises faculty, staff and students on their provision
- Responsible for strategic planning support: Perform and conduct complex research and financial analyses to advise the Department Head, faculty and staff along with providing data interpretation for the development of operating and strategic plans.
Percentage Of Time 25% Job Duty Category Human Resource Management Duty/Responsibility
- Ensure proper management of office operations in support of HR initiatives to include; University changes and updates, and new processes to effectively manage any department/college issues.
- Signatory authority for various personnel transactions; provides information on administrative procedures and requirements to prospective faculty, staff, and students; coordinates the processing of faculty, teaching assistants, and graduate assistant contracts, and/or hiring of additional part-time instructors to meet student enrollment demands.
- Authorized department Employee Coordinator with the Student Employment Office.
- Provide counseling and outreach regarding HR issues arising within the unit.
- Ensure individuals receive proper training on any new University HR initiatives in support of department activities.
- Consult and advise on appropriate classification of positions within the unit in concert with University liaisons in central Human Resource Services.
- Responsible for coordination of department searches, to include guidance and adherence to university search procedures and policies. Serve as department coordinator for the processing of searches through the Talent Management System.
- Advise on corrective actions, grievances and other employee relations matters for all employee types within the unit.
- Responsible for coordination of annual salary exercise with direction and oversight from the Department Head.
- Provide leave management support and guidance to faculty and staff, including coordination of various leave benefits (e.g., FMLA, Parental Leave, etc.)
Percentage Of Time 30% Job Duty Category Outreach and University Service Duty/Responsibility
- The position will interact with faculty, staff and students within the Department and university on a daily basis.
- The position will serve on departmental, college and university committees as assigned or required. Position will maintain strong working relationships with college and university offices including but not limited to: Human Resource Services, Office of Equal Opportunity, Purchasing, Business and Financial Services, Student Affairs, Graduate School, etc.
Percentage Of Time 10%
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, please apply by 11/08/2017, 11:59 pm (MT) with a cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications, resume, and contact information for 3 to 5 professional references. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact Kristin Haller, firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.