Assistant/Associate Professor in Economics
Assistant/Associate Professor in Economics
Department: The School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Khorog, Tajikistan and Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 15 January 2018 (or until filled)
UCA Background The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000 as a private, not for profit, secular university through an International Treaty signed by the Presidents of the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan; ratified by their respective parliaments, and registered with the United Nations. The Presidents are the Patrons of the University and His Highness is the Chancellor. UCA’s mission is to promote the social and economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain communities, by offering an internationally recognised standard of higher education, and enabling the peoples of the region to preserve their rich cultural heritage as assets for the future. UCA brings with it the commitment and partnership of the broader Aga Khan Development Network. For more information: www.ucentralasia.org
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia is seeking Economics Faculty Members to teach at the undergraduate campuses in Naryn, Kyrgyzstan and/or Khorog, Tajikistan. In your role as Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to helping students develop an informed acquaintance with a variety of topics in modern economics with a focus on business economics that reflects the needs of the region for enterprise growth and job creation. You will also work with UCA to manage the development of its undergraduate programme which will have introductory courses in micro and macroeconomics and advanced courses in econometrics, trade economics and labour economics.
Central to the vision of UCA is to create an outstanding teaching and research institution that excels in the generation and application of knowledge. Academic programmes combine the student-centred environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students be fluent in their native language and Russian. As a Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to teaching in small classes and providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure they master and apply the material. We are seeking someone committed to teaching, intellectually inquisitive and prepared to do research on issues relating to the economic development of Central Asia, especially it’s mountainous regions. Programme Description UCA aims to train economists who are strategic thinkers and can eventually serve as effective policy makers who understand the complexities of Central Asian and global economies. The programme will address both global economic concepts and processes and Central Asian emerging economies and opportunities. It will equip students to make a contribution to economic growth.
You will have access to and be expected to contribute to research implemented by the University's Institute of Public Policy and Administration, which fosters rigorous inquiry into public policy related to socio-economic development in Central Asia and has strong partnerships with government agencies across the region.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- PhD or equivalent from an internationally recognised university in Economics for Assistant/Associate appointments; a Master’s degree is required for Senior Lecturer appointments;
- Fluency in English is required.
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students; preferably at least 3 years of experience at the undergraduate level teaching introductory micro and macroeconomics, econometrics, statistics and other economics disciplines/subjects;
- Demonstrated understanding of teaching i.e. developing new and interesting courses grounded in a discipline area and interdisciplinary in nature;
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies;
- Experience in developing and delivering training modules to teachers, tutors and mentors;
- Experience in some form of leadership involving students, faculty and staff, i.e. managing faculty (department lead or chair), student research projects and/or theses; and
- Experience teaching in Central Asia or similar international experience would be a valuable asset.
- A proven ability to publish research in peer reviewed journals related to your areas of expertise and/or books or professional publications on a range of platforms;
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international conferences;
- Experience as a peer reviewer for well-established journals in your area of study; and
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset.
Timing and Location
- You should be prepared to move to Central Asia by May/June 2018 or earlier for acculturation and to prepare for teaching. UCA is currently recruiting for faculty members for both campuses.
- Knowledge of Russian would be an advantage
- How to Apply To apply please send us (1) a cover letter (2) an up-to-date resume; (2) a teaching and research statement (3) contact information for three professional references to email@example.com by 15 January 2018. Please use: “Economics Faculty Member” as the subject header and indicate how you heard about us. The position will carry the rank of assistant or associate professor. Senior Lecturer appointments will also be considered. Rank will be based on the candidate’s prior experience and record. Rank and salary are competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Click here for more information about UCA’s academic programmes. ”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: http://www.ucentralasia.org/About/CurrentVacancies
Apply for Assistant/Associate Professor in Economics
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly