Research Officer in Biological Sciences
- Full-time, fixed term contract for 12 months
- Located at the Mildura Campus
- $63,521 - $86,205 per annum + up to 17% superannuation
About La Trobe
La Trobe University’s success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. La Trobe University turns 50 in 2017, and over the half century of its existence it has established a reputation as an innovative and accessible university, willing to take risks and take on challenges. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we’re passionate about driving change through operational excellence to benefit the communities we serve.
The Murray-Darling Freshwater Research Centre (MDFRC) is a research partnership between La Trobe University and CSIRO, operating across our Albury-Wodonga and Mildura campuses. The Centre sits within the School of Life Sciences in the College of Science, Health and Engineering.
About the position
The Research Officer will undertake multiday field trips to support existing floodplain-ecology projects, which provide scientific advice for natural resource management agencies. This position is for an initial 12 month contract, however there is an opportunity to extend the contract through contribution to project proposal and tender submissions for further client funding.
Skills and Experience
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in the relevant discipline, and evidence of participation in higher level study relevant to freshwater or floodplain ecology.
- Knowledge of freshwater systems and/or floodplain ecology.
- Demonstrated skills in plant identification and vegetation surveys (preferably in floodplain, wetland and riverine environments).
- Experience in organising and leading multiday field trips, which involve remote locations.
- Evidence of experience in research and evaluation and the ability to work effectively under limited supervision.
- Experience in the analysis and modelling of data, including the capacity to integrate data from a range of sources and of uneven quality.
Please refer to the Position Description for other duties, skills and experience required for this role.
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
Please click on this link for a full list of Benefits http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs/working/benefits
How to apply
Closing date: Sunday, 26 November 2017 by 11.00pm AEDST.
Position Enquiries: Dr Susan Gehrig, +61 3 5051 4022 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is open to people with a valid full-time working visa.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and a separate document addressing the Key Selection Criteria located in the Position Description.
Please scroll down to apply.
La Trobe University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For further enquiries on how to apply for this role, please contact Deborah Dare, Recruitment Consultant on +61 3 9479 1241 or email@example.com
La Trobe is proud to be a member of the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) Athena SWAN program to advance gender equality in academia.