Electrical Instrumentation Technician (CV)
Electrical and instrumentation technician in the Engineering Department (EN), Cooling & Ventilation Group (CV), Maintenance Section (MA).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN), that provides engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities;
- the Cooling & Ventilation Group (CV), responsible for designing, constructing, maintaining and operating cooling, ventilation and air conditioning systems and large scale fluid distribution systems for the whole Laboratory, in particular in accelerator and Experiments underground areas;
- The Maintenance Section (MA) within the CV Group in charge of maintenance related aspects of CV installations; the size of these plants can range from small systems up to large scale of several MW.
As a member of the CV Group, you will be involved in installation projects and in the maintenance and operation aspects of existing CV plants. You will be expected to be able to communicate with other professionals at all levels and with internal services and external contractors. As an autonomous, proactive team player, you will:
- Perform diagnostics, tests and calibration of industrial instrumentation and electrical and pneumatic actuators during maintenance periods.
- Provide support for the electrical and instrumentation activities to the other operators.
- Extract, analyse and enter data in CV Computing Maintenance Management System.
- Take part in design choices for instrumentation, actuators and for electrical systems of CV plants relating to important CERN's projects.
- Contribute to design studies, calculations and measurements in the instrumentation and electrical systems (e.g. analysis of short circuit, power flow, transient, harmonic, system protection and selectivity, insulation coordination), initially with the support of CERN design engineers.
- Contribute to writing technical specifications, qualification and technical visits to companies.
- Check that works carried out by the contractors meets the specified requirements in close collaboration with CERN engineers and HVAC work supervisors.
- Take part in the stand by service for troubleshooting interventions on CV plants.
Higher technical diploma in the field of industrial instrumentation or electricity, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the selection, parametrisation, fault diagnosis, acceptance tests, reliability analysis of industrial instrumentation.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of industrial maintenance.
- Experience in applying both local and international safety rules for construction and maintenance work in electrical systems.
- Experience in computing maintenance management systems.
Demonstrating the following experience would be an asset:
- Experience in the supervision of industrial work sites.
- Experience in carrying out design studies for electrical systems.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Commissioning, maintenance & operation of electrical distribution systems in low voltage.
- Use of maintenance management systems.
- Design of LV network & switchboard.
- Installation and maintenance of Basic Process Instrumentation (Temperature, Pressure, Flow, Level).
- Knowledge of electrical rotating machine.
- Cooling process and regulation and HVAC.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; carrying out a full risk analysis before starting activity / project; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Demonstrating flexibility: Readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working; demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Achieving results: objectively assessing and monitoring own work; regularly reporting on progress and advising of any changes in schedule or priorities; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application.
- Working in teams: seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French with the ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations or willingness to acquire this skill rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 03.12.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.