Lecturer/Senior Lecturer In Environmental Science
Macquarie is the university of pioneering minds. Globally recognised as one of Australia's leading research universities, Macquarie is a place where extraordinary new possibilities come to light. We've helped people to hear, introduced wireless internet technology to the world and broken through traditional boundaries by appointing Australia's first female vice-chancellor.
At Macquarie you'll join a vibrant community of diverse perspectives, all working towards a brighter future for our communities and our planet. Surrounded by beautiful parkland campus, our students and staff are free to explore and discover, supported by facilities including a high-tech library, private teaching hospital, gym and pools, childcare facilities, a campus train station and the newly expanded Macquarie Centre shopping complex next door.
In Macquarie's Faculty of Science and Engineering you'll join passionate researchers and educators blazing new trails in the spirit of discovery and exploration. Encouraged to think boldly, and supported by some of Australia's most outstanding facilities, brilliant minds converge in our Faculty to create incredible new possibilities: the world's first attempt to synthesize complex life, the creation of Wi-Fi, the discovery of dancing dwarf galaxies, and the development of blue LED light. Inspired by challenge and opportunity, we look forward to welcoming you as we imagine a new future together.
Environmental Sciences has a program that ranges across research into tropical cyclones, toxic dust and natural hazards to Antarctic contamination and invasive species. We are the number one institution in Australia in environmental sciences and ecology research.
Our dynamic and dedicated academics and research students study and teach the interactions that occur between the physical, biological and human environments. Our program provides a firm base in all scientific aspects of the environment, alongside an understanding of socioeconomic issues related to environmental matters, enabling graduates to contribute to navigating a path towards a healthy environment.
The Department is committed to excellence in research, teaching, and connected professional and community engagement. Environmental Sciences at Macquarie University was awarded the maximum rating (5 out of 5 ‘well above world standard’) in the 2015 Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) analysis. Our research strengths in Environmental Science and Management, Physical Geography and Geosciences, and Atmospheric Sciences all received the maximum rating of 5.
The Department of Environmental Sciences is seeking to appoint a dynamic and qualified academic as Lecturer (Level B) or Senior Lecturer (Level C), with a strong enthusiasm and track record of research and teaching in the area of environmental science and management. The successful candidate will demonstrate strengths for future potential across other research and teaching streams of the Department, and also contribute to the administration, outreach and promotion of the Department of Environmental Sciences.
Successful candidates will:
- Strive for excellence in teaching and delivering environmental science management teaching programs
- Continually make quality contribution to the research and scholarly activities of the Department
- Support their research by attracting funding from diverse funding sources
- Proactively build research collaborations, both internal and external
- Contribute to the full range of departmental activities
To be considered for this position, candidates must submit an updated CV and respond to the selection criteria below and attach this as a separate document, in the application process:
- A PhD in environmental sciences or a relevant discipline
- Evidence of high quality publications in both national and international journals (relevant to the discipline)
- A track record as a productive member of a research team
- Capacity to attract and supervise Higher Degree Research students
- A strong track record of delivering high quality learning and teaching, involving the design, delivery and management of lectures, tutorials and assessment at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Demonstrated capacity for external research collaboration and to attract competitive funding
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to relate to staff and students from all backgrounds and to represent the Department and Faculty to external stakeholders and the general public
- Evidence of interdisciplinary research collaboration
- Evidence of external promotion of research activity, both nationally and internationally
- Demonstrated innovations in teaching
Additional Selection Criteria for appointment at Level C
- An established research record in environmental sciences
- Demonstrated success in teaching and curriculum development
- Proven track record of interdisciplinary research
Salary Package: from $99,879 to 118,174 p.a. (Level B), or $121,953 to $140,246 p.a. (Level C), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading. The appointment will be commensurate with experience.
Appointment Type: full-time, continuing
Specific Role Enquiries: Professor Neil Saintilan on email@example.com or +61 2 9850 8400; or Associate Professor Paul Beggs on firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 2 9850 8399
General Recruitment Enquiries: Lizzy Nguyen, HR Administrator, email@example.com
Applications Close: Thursday 16 November 2017 at 11:55pm (AEST)
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.