IT Manager in Technical Laboratory
- A$101K – A$114K + 17% Superannuation + Leave Loading
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Dynamic campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
The School of Mathematics and Statistics embodies a broad range of research interests in the areas of applied and pure mathematics and statistics. The school teaches approximately 8,000 individual students has been ranked number one in Australia for each of the past six years
IT is responsible for the management and operations of Teaching and Research Laboratories in the School of Mathematics and Statistics. The Teaching and Research Laboratory resources in the School include dual boot Windows-Linux systems with specialized software, networked staff desktop machines, and audio video conferencing equipment.
We are looking for an IT Manager who will thrive in an environment where they are given the freedom to ensure our laboratories remain state of the art facilities. The successful applicant will have a passion for new and emerging technologies and display a vision of their application in improving our methodologies and solutions.
Your key responsibilities will include providing leadership to Technical Officers supporting the School’s laboratories, overseeing the effective operation and maintenance of laboratory infrastructure equipment and facilities, whilst taking ownership of the implementation of safe workplace procedures in accordance with health and safety legislation, University policy, and best practice.
- Manage the efficient maintenance and operation of the School’s Teaching and Research laboratories including oversight of the coordination of efficient day-to-day management of equipment, infrastructure and services, including audio-visual hardware and software, as well as the planning, maintenance and scheduling of operations.
- Provide leadership and direction to School Technical staff to deliver high quality service supporting the School’s research and teaching programs and assist the School Manager in the ongoing performance and career development of the team.
- Responsible for the management, maintenance and implementation of policies and procedures such as purchasing, asset management, stock control, safe disposal of equipment and laboratory consumables and lab induction/training.
- Manage laboratory budget/s and assist in the preparation of the School’s budgeting processes in relation to laboratories.
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement, leading the evaluation of existing equipment, infrastructure, service delivery and training, as well as systems, procedures and protocols.
- Play an integral part as the technical lead in managing School wide projects and initiatives which are highly complex, require a working knowledge of multiple disciplines and manage competing stakeholder expectations.
You possess significant experience working with Linux, Windows and Audio Video conferencing facilities, ideally gained in teaching and/or research environment. Mac skills are also highly desirable.
Proven success leading and developing technical staff, along with expertise in managing high level technical projects and negotiating contracts and/or service agreements is also essential.
Applications Close: 11:59 pm 16th November 2017
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).