Acquisition and Description Librarian
Duke Kunshan University
DKU is a partnership of Duke University, Wuhan University and the Municipality of Kunshan, China (https://dukekunshan.edu.cn). The DKU campus is 37 miles west of Shanghai in Kunshan, and is connected to Shanghai via an 18-minute high-speed train and a subway-light rail train system. DKU provides competitive compensation, benefits and start-up packages.
The Acquisition and Description Librarian is responsible for technical services operations for the Duke Kunshan University (DKU) Library, including ordering and receiving, cataloging, e-resource management, and metadata creation. The librarian in this position ensures the efficiency and effectiveness of technical services workflows and operations, working collaboratively with other librarians and staff at DKU Library and the Duke University Libraries.
University Librarian, DKU
- Manages the acquisition budget, monitors expenditures, ensures proper handling of ordering and receipts of library materials in all formats.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of budget allocations, establishes the annual calendar and target deadlines for ordering materials, and prioritizes requests for end-of-year purchasing in collaboration with other librarians and staff.
- Evaluates, assesses, and manages the overall collection
- Selects materials in assigned areas.
- Approves resource requests and recommendations in accordance with the collection development policy.
- Participates in projects, planning, and initiatives to establish/refine collection and cataloging/metadata policies and procedures; ensures high quality, productivity, and adherence to standards for acquisitions, resource access, and descriptive frameworks for all formats.
- Oversees the receipt, physical processing, and adaptive cataloging of library materials.
- Works collaboratively with other librarians and staff at the DKU Library and the Duke University Libraries during the course of fulfilling the duties of the position.
- Ensures the quality of bibliographic records through compliance with national and local standards such as MARC, RDA, AACR2r, LCSH, LCCS, OCLC, LC cataloging practices, and other appropriate cataloging and metadata standards.
- Holds primary responsibility for completeness and accuracy of DKU library holdings in Duke University Libraries’ integrated library system and other systems including OCLC WorldCat.
- Performs cataloging and database maintenance activities for item holdings, acquisitions, and serials data to ensure quality, consistency, and currency of the online library system and discovery service, utilizing necessary tools to analyze and correct data and enhance users’ success in finding resources.
- Keeps current with evolving cataloging and metadata standards and serves as the local resource person regarding cataloging and metadata.
- Participates and provides basic reference services and research consultation to DKU faculty, students, and staff.
- Supervises and trains support staff in technical services.
- Represents the Library on relevant university or program committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- University employees' job responsibilities will continue to expand in scope and depth as the University grows in size and complexity in its programs.
- Trains and supervises staff and student assistants, as needed.
- At least three years’ professional library work experience in an academic setting
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program or international equivalent in library and information science
- Experience with cataloging module of an integrated library system
- Experience with original and copy cataloging in a variety of formats (print, non-print, digital)
- Experience cataloging with RDA, Library of Congress Subject Headings, Library of Congress Classification, MARC 21, and OCLC.
- Experience with principles of authority control.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills both in English.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and as a team member.
- Excellent communication, planning, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of the publishing industry, both print and electronic.
- Knowledge of current professional practices and emerging trends, issues, and methods of collection assessment, cataloging, and metadata.
- Demonstrating abilities in research, scholarly work, and professional activities.
- Seven Years’ professional library work experience including two years in a Western academic setting.
- Ability to manage and oversee projects in a team environment and communicate complex issues and perspectives across a global network.
- Experience hiring, training, mentoring, and supervising staff/student workers.
- Fluency in oral and written Chinese.
- Demonstrated evidences of research and scholarly work.
How to apply:
Duke Kunshan University requests from all applicants a curriculum vitae, a cover letter, and the name and contact information for three references. The materials should be submitted to DKUrecruitment@dukekunshan.edu.cn. Priority will be given to applications received by August 30, 2017 and applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
As an international intellectual community that encourages diversity, openness and creative learning, DKU welcomes outstanding faculty from around the world who contribute diverse perspectives and experiences to a global learning and research environment. DKU particularly welcomes applications from underrepresented groups and minorities