Assistant/Associate Professor in Communications and Media
The University of Central Asia (UCA) includes the Undergraduate School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Professional and Continuing Education, the Institute of Public Policy and Administration, the Mountain Societies Research Institute, the Cultural Heritage and Humanities Unit, the Central Asian Faculty Development Programme, and the Aga Khan Humanities
Project. UCA is supported by the commitment and partnership of the Aga Khan Development Network. UCA’s undergraduate programmes are located at its residential campuses in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic, and Khorog, Tajikistan. The Tekeli campus in Kazakhstan is expected to start classes in 2021. UCA will have 3,600 undergraduate students when fully operational.
Title: Assistant/Associate Professor in Communications and Media
Department: The School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: December 20, 2017 (or until filled)
The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000 as a private, not for profit, secular university through an International Treaty signed by the Presidents of the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan; ratified by their respective parliaments, and registered with the United Nations. The Presidents are the Patrons of the University and His Highness is the Chancellor. UCA’s mission is to promote the social and economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain communities, by offering an internationally recognised standard of higher education, and enabling the peoples of the region to preserve their rich cultural heritage as assets for the future. For more information: www.ucentralasia.org
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia is seeking a senior Faculty Member in Communications and Media to teach at UCA’s two campuses in Naryn Campus in Kyrgyz Republic and Khorog Campus in Tajikistan. In your role as Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to shaping the Communications and Media curriculum, helping students appreciate and develop an interdisciplinary approach to the field of media and communications, primarily grounded in the social sciences and also open to humanities perspectives. Applicants should demonstrate research excellence and a commitment to developing critical ways to conceptualise and research empirically the relationships between media and communications technologies and the social world with particular reference to strategic communication challenges faced by individuals and organizations.
Central to the vision of UCA is to create an outstanding teaching and research institution that excels in the generation and application of knowledge. Academic programmes combine the student-centred environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students be fluent in their native language and Russian. As a Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to teaching in small classes and providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure they master and apply the material.
Programme Description UCA's Communications and Media programme offers a unique integrated approach that includes communications theory, media studies, journalism and applied media. The programme mirrors current trends in the study and practice of media communications.
Students will be equipped with a strong foundation in both theory and practical skills desired by media industries, including journalism, public relations, advertising, marketing communications, multi-media design, media production, media law and management. They will acquire skills in writing and critical thinking, as well as knowledge in media law, ethics and the political, economic, cultural and social character of Central Asian societies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Required Qualifications and Experience
- PhD or equivalent from an internationally recognised university in Communications &/or equivalent experience in the field
- Fluency in English is required
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students; preferably at least 3 years of experience at the undergraduate level
- Demonstrated understanding of teaching, i.e. developing new and interesting courses grounded in a discipline area and interdisciplinary in nature
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies
- Experience in developing and delivering training modules to teachers, tutors and mentors
- Experience in some form of leadership involving students, faculty and staff, i.e. managing faculty (department lead or chair), student research projects and/or theses
- Experience in teaching in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- Some technical skills related to media production would be an asset.
- A proven ability to publish research in peer reviewed journals related to your areas of expertise
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international conferences
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
Timing and Location
- You should be prepared to move to Central Asia by May/June 2018 or earlier for acculturation and to prepare for teaching. Your position will be based in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic, but you may also teach classes at the Khorog campus in Tajikistan. Regional travel is to be expected.
- Knowledge of Russian would be an advantage
How to Apply
To apply please send us (1) a cover letter (2) an up-to-date resume; (2) a teaching and research statement (3) contact information for three professional references to email@example.com by 20 December 2017. Please use: “Communications and Media Faculty Member” as the subject header and indicate how you heard about us. The position will carry the rank of assistant or associate professor. Rank will be based on the candidate’s prior experience and record.
For more information about UCA’s academic programs please visit
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: http://www.ucentralasia.org/About/CurrentVacancies
Apply for Assistant/Associate Professor in Communications and Media
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly