Assistant/Associate Professor in Computer Science
Assistant/Associate Professor in Computer Science
Department: The School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 10 December 2017
The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000 as a private, not for profit, secular university through an International Treaty signed by the Presidents of the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan; ratified by their respective parliaments, and registered with the United Nations. The Presidents are the Patrons of the University and His Highness is the Chancellor. UCA’s mission is to promote the social and economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain communities, by offering an internationally recognised standard of higher education, and enabling the peoples of the region to preserve their rich cultural heritage as assets for the future. For more information: www.ucentralasia.org
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia is seeking a senior Faculty Member in Computer Science to teach at UCA’s campus in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic. In your role as Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to shaping the Computer Science major and minor curricula in collaboration with our International University Partner. Once the curriculum is shaped, you will also assist with the hiring of computer science faculty to join your team. The major and minor programmes will combine rigorous computational-heavy courses such as Compiler Design and Discrete Mathematics with options to study how to design human-centred systems and explore the expansion of artificial intelligence. Academic programmes combine the student-centered environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students be fluent in their native language and Russian. As a Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to teaching in small classes and providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure they master and apply the material. You will help students appreciate and develop an interdisciplinary approach to the fields of computer science, information technology, and entrepreneurship. Lastly, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to continue their research and develop new research for UCA in Central Asia, actively creating pathways to engage students in the research programme. Applicants should thus demonstrate research excellence and a commitment to establishing foundational knowledge for students new to the field.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- PhD or equivalent from an internationally recognised university in Computer Science or closely related discipline or equivalent industry experience
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of Russian is an asset
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students; preferably at least 3 years of experience at the undergraduate level
- Demonstrated understanding of teaching, i.e. developing new and interesting courses grounded in a discipline area and interdisciplinary in nature
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies
- Experience in developing and delivering training modules to teachers, tutors and mentors
- Experience in some form of leadership involving students, faculty and staff, i.e. managing faculty (department lead or chair), student research projects and/or theses
- Experience in teaching in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a teaching team; flexibility and the ability to work in a constantly-evolving academic endeavour is essential
- A proven ability to publish research in peer reviewed journals related to your areas of expertise
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international conferences
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- Aware of current and future industry trends; strong network of industry contacts to support internship programs, project collaborations and industrial mentoring.
Salary and Package
Salary and package to attract the best candidate.
The job description is subject to change.
How to Apply
To apply please send us (1) a cover letter (2) an up-to-date resume; (2) a teaching and research statement (3) contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 December 2017. Please use: “Assistant/Associate Professor in Computer Science” as the subject header and indicate how you heard about us. The position will carry the rank of assistant or associate professor. Rank will be based on the candidate’s prior experience and record.
For more information about UCA’s academic programmes please visit
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.