Network Performance Specialist
Network Performance Specialist in the Experimental Physics (EP), LHCb Computing Group (LBC).
You will join:
- The Physics (EP) Department that carries out basic research in the field of experimental and theoretical particle physics. It aims at providing a stimulating scientific atmosphere and remains an important reference centre for the European physics community. It contributes to the education and training of young scientists.
- The LHCb Computing Group (LBC) which is supporting the Large Hadron Collider Beauty experiment (LHCb), an experiment set up to explore what happened after the Big Bang that allowed matter to survive and build the Universe we inhabit today.
- Within the LBC group, you will join the Online team, which is the main responsible team for all aspects of data movement and handling, controls and monitoring and IT infrastructure of the LHCb experiment. We are also the main player in the global LHCb detector operations.
The LHCb experiment at CERN is building a data acquisition system which will have the highest data throughput of any scientific instrument to date. To this end we will use state-of-the art network technologies at links speeds of 100 Gigabit/s and beyond. Sustaining the challenging all-to-all traffic in the core network will be crucial for the success of the experiment.
As a network performance specialist, you will take a leading role in the detailed implementation and performance optimisation of the core data acquisition network for the LHCb upgrade. This mainly includes:
- Development of necessary applications for the movement of the data and the systems performance tuning of the network hardware.
- Commissioning of the whole system and the transitioning to the production phase.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the fields of computer science, physics or related engineering. or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in the fields of data acquisition and/or high-performance computing.
- Experience with high-speed networking technologies such as InfiniBand or Intel OmniPath.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Network design: high-speed local area network technologies.
- Systems and applications development.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; handling uncertainty and ambiguity calmly and effectively.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change; readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw up technical texts.
- Ability to understand and speak French in professional context would be a strong asset.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 21.11.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 4 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.