Director of Biomedical Research
About the role
We are seeking an outstanding individual to fill the position of Director of Biomedical Research to provide oversight, leadership, and guidance in the management and execution of biomedical research at Mater, as an executive of a Company Limited by Guarantee (Mater Medical Research Institute Ltd) and as a Faculty Level Institute of The University of Queensland (Mater Research Institute – UQ).
Mater Research, located in Brisbane, Australia, is a world class facility that is committed to academic medicine and aims to discover, develop, translate, and commercialise medical research that integrates with relevant areas of excellence within clinical practice. Mater Research has grown significantly with more than 300 laboratory and clinical researchers and has expanded its reach across Mater’s hospitals and health services, and is an internationally recognised leader in medical research.
As part of the senior executive, a key function of this role will be to set strategy and create a research program conducting internationally competitive research that supports the integration of research with clinical care. The Director’s portfolio includes overseeing the performance of multidisciplinary biomedical research within Mater Research, primarily located within the Translational Research Institute and also integrated with healthcare within Mater Health.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience
What you'll be doing
Key Accountabilities will include:
- Fostering a culture and environment of innovative biomedical research excellence through the development of research teams and projects with a focus toward clinical translation and effective linkages to Mater Health.
- Providing academic and administrative leadership within the institute by participating in the development and delivery of policy and strategy.
- Establishing the vision and strategic planning for all research at Mater to ensure the efficacy of the strategic plan, particularly with respect to biomedical research.
- Establishing the strategic vision, direction and management of biomedical research at Mater.
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities for multi-disciplinary internal and external collaborations and development of flagship research projects.
- Identifying and recruiting high-calibre senior research staff that fit with the strategic objectives of Mater Research.
- Developing the quality of biomedical research at Mater by supporting research training, career development of biomedical researchers, development of research infrastructure, and enhancing collaboration (including with clinical research) and boosting competitiveness for external funding.
- Driving a personal program of internationally recognised research with success in national/international grant funding, and successful mentoring of early career researchers and research students.
To be successful in this role you will possess the following:
- Relevant scientific qualification(s) and a Research Higher Degree.
- It is expected that the successful applicant will be appointable to The University of Queensland at Level E (Professor) or Level D (Associate Professor).
- Demonstrated extensive and broad experience in leading, motivating and developing biomedical research teams to deliver complex research projects involving multiple stakeholders and in changing environments.
- Proven professional leadership qualities, capacity for executive administrative responsibilities and working as part of a leadership team, contributing to strategic planning, providing advice and implementing initiatives to deliver on organisational objectives.
- Evidence of outstanding scholarly activity of an international standard and a demonstrated ongoing commitment to one or more programs of personal research.
- Record of successful supervision of postgraduate research students and the ability to make a significant contribution to postgraduate training programs.
Why join us?
In return for your skills you will have the opportunity to work for an Australian leader in the fields of Health, Research and Education who is making a significant difference to health outcomes. Mater provides benefits not offered in other workplaces. In addition to being part of a workplace that offers compassionate care in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy, pioneers in the provision of healthcare to Queensland for over 100 years, you will have opportunities to increase your take-home pay with our salary packaging options. Your employment package will include research support.
Applications should include a cover letter, full academic curriculum vitae and contact details of two professional referees.
Applications close Friday 17 November 2017
Prof John Prins, Director
To view the Position Description please click here
To view Recruitment Booklet please click here