Manager of Finance
1 day left
- Full Time
Description of Work Unit
The purpose of the Colorado State Forest Service’s Administrative Division is to provide leadership and direction in service, outreach, and administration that directly contributes to achieving the agency’s mission of “the stewardship of Colorado’s diverse forest environments for the benefit of present and future generations”. The CSFS Administrative Division specifically coordinates the financial and budget processes for the State Office and 19 offices. The work unit consists of key leadership positions that provide direction to achieve the vision and mission of the CSFS.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Administration, the Manager of Finance is responsible for providing assistance and guidance to all agency personnel regarding budgets, expenditures, account management, reporting and reconciling. This position provides fiscal oversight to the Colorado State Forest Service (CSFS) by actively participating in Executive Budget Committee meetings providing financial guidance for the agency’s strategic planning. They are responsible for coordinating and training CSFS staff on: Kuali and eThority, established CSFS and CSU accounting principles, audit requirements, and financial guidelines and policies. The Manager of Finance is also responsible for coordinating the timely completion of the annual closeout of USFS Consolidated Payment Grant (CPG) award projects, ensuring all cost-share and fiscal requirements have been met.
The Manager of Finance will serve as the primary fiscal officer for the CSFS, approving all distributions of income and expenses for CSFS cash accounts, budget accounts and 53-fund accounts. They will be required to serve as the primary contact for the Office of Sponsored Programs, coordinating with other CSFS administrative staff. They will be responsible for educating and training program managers and other personnel throughout the CSFS on the correct application of Federal Cost Accounting Standards relative to project expenditures, other necessary accounting principles, audit requirements, financial guidelines and policies, compliance with CSU policy, etc. They will be required to create spreadsheets and generate reports used to produce the budget for the agency, reconcile accounts, and other reporting needs, accounting for the budget staffing of salaried employees for the agency, facilitating annual budgeting and staffing exercises with the CSFS Leadership Team to determine staffing requirements, and the proper timing and distribution of salaries (as dictated by grant guidelines) for all agency employees over 400+accounts. They will use their knowledge and expertise of fiscal rules and guidelines to determine when program managers need to be alerted to potential or real budgetary problems, making sure to also recommend alternative solutions. When needed, the Manager of Finance will counsel program managers on appropriate spending alternatives to accomplish project and budget objectives and create program-level and account-level processes to address unusual budget requirements.
The Manager of Finance serves as a member of the CSFS Management Team that manages work efforts across all program areas to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, and cohesiveness of program delivery in priority areas. The team works together to address common operational issues, allocate and manage resources to ensure agency goals and objectives are achieved on time and within budget, and ensure that policy and practices are implemented consistently. The CSFS Management Team works with the CSFS Leadership Team to carry out agency priorities.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree (or greater) in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or other related degree will be considered.
- Three years professional experience developing and managing complex fiscal analyses and creating budgets to correspond.
- Experience with supervising temporary and/or permanent staff.
- Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license or access to a licensed driver by the employment start date.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Experience working with financial and human resource applications such as Oracle for financial/human resource reporting, analysis and budgeting.
- Demonstrated strong financial analysis skills to assist organizational leadership in evaluating departmental expenses and revenues.
- Experience with managing multiple accounts across multiple departments.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare complex financial reports and reconciliations for multiple expenses and revenue categories.
- Experience managing financial and HR/Payroll systems to effectively manage budgets and financial reporting as well as drive analytical insights.
- Familiarity with Financial Systems and reporting programs (e.g. Kuali [KFS] and eThority); experience data mining and creating filters in these systems.
- Demonstrated experience managing payment card programs.
- Experience with contracts, agreements, and grant management.
- Proficient with the general Microsoft Suite of software products.
- Demonstrated experience with participation on teams, committees and other special assignments.
- Ability to maintain and keep information confidential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines with a strong attention to detail.
Applicants are expected to possess demonstrated knowledge of and relevant ability with, culturally diverse communities among potential target and constituent populations.
Job Duty Category Fiscal Oversight Duty/Responsibility
- Coordinate with the Associate Director of Administration to provide guidance, inform and train administrative and accounting staff located at 19 offices on established CSFS and CSU accounting principles, audit requirements, financial guidelines and policies, etc.
- Actively participate in Executive Budget Committee meetings providing financial guidance for the agency’s strategic planning.
- Act as KFS fiscal officer for most CSFS accounts.
- Perform financial analyses and data mining as needed to support CSFS Leadership Team and staff.
- Process requests from program managers for staffing changes and reconcile all salary entries on a monthly basis. Use monthly HRS staffing reports to verify salary distributions are correct.
- Review hourly wage entries for proper account and sufficient balance prior to input into Oracle system.
- Oversee accounts receivable and performance bond entries.
- Administer overall reconciling process for CSFS. Provide assistance to all CSFS staff in interpreting reports and correcting errors.
- Assist CSFS personnel with any financial software process questions.
- Analyze spending when a project is nearing completion to ensure funding is expended, and transition is made to the next appropriate account for the project, considering salary distribution across awards.
- Maintain vehicle charges database to properly book monthly vehicle charges (90+ vehicles). Verify balance sufficiency in all accounts prior to booking monthly vehicle expenses.
- Serve as CSFS representative on Campus Administrative Processing Advisory Council (CAPAC) Council
- Coordinate the annual closeout of USFS Consolidated Payment Grant award projects, ensuring that all cost share and fiscal requirements have been met.
- Review and monitor supplemental pay documents for all CSFS personnel.
- Review all documents used to create invoices and oversee creation of associated receivable entry.
Percentage Of Time 25% Job Duty Category Budget Creation and Management Duty/Responsibility
- Develop and maintain budgets for CSFS central operations and for 19 offices.
- In coordination with the Associate Director of Administration, manage and implement agency budget process starting with giving a budget overview to all account managers, program managers and agency staff through to entering the data into the Kuali budget process.
- Create spreadsheets used to produce the budget and for review by the CSFS Leadership Team.
- Provide training and guidance throughout the budget process to agency staff.
- Conduct post budget conference calls and meetings.
- Responsible for the budget staffing of salaried employees for the agency.
- Process approved budget adjustments in KFS
- Convene and administer annual staffing meeting with the CSFS Leadership Team to determine staffing requirements.
- Determine when program managers need to be alerted to potential or real budgetary problems and use professional knowledge base to recommend alternative solutions for their consideration.
- Monitor the 400+ accounts and process budget adjustments whenever necessary and make sure all fiscal deadlines are met. Ensure that actions are in compliance with university and funding sponsor’s policies and procedures.
- Counsel program managers on appropriate spending alternatives to accomplish project and budget objectives.
- Create program-level and account-level processes to address unusual budget requirements.
Percentage Of Time 25% Job Duty Category Primary Fiscal Officer for CSFS Duty/Responsibility
- Approve BAs (Budget Adjustments), DVs (Disbursement Vouchers), GECs (General Error Corrections), PREQs (Payment Requests), PCards (Procurement Cards), IOs (Internal Orders), Travel, IBs (Internal Billings), Distribution of Income and Expense, and Requisitions on the Kuali Financial System (KFS) for CSFS cash accounts, budget accounts and 53-fund accounts.
- Approve Travel documents for CSFS.
- Under the direction of the Associate Director of Administration, inform program managers on the correct application of Federal Cost Accounting Standards relative to project expenditures.
- Communicate and coordinate unique situations that require individual interpretation of regulations and guidelines for transaction costs and project actions and discuss the agency’s unique needs with appropriate personnel including: CSU’s Budget Office, Office of Business and Financial Services, Office of Sponsored Programs, Office of Procurements etc.
- Serves as primary contact for the Office of Sponsored Programs, coordinating with the CSFS Grants Specialist.
- Provide guidance to account managers when problems or violations are detected and help them determine the appropriate course of action.
Percentage Of Time 25% Job Duty Category CSFS Management Team Duty/Responsibility
The Manager serves as a member of the CSFS Management Team guiding and coordinating work efforts across all program areas to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, and cohesiveness of program delivery. They work with the CSFS Management Team on problem solving, budgeting, operating procedures, work planning, and other management issues, making recommendations for prioritizing and allocating resources. The Manager coordinates with and provides input to CSFS Management Team on program policy and guidelines. Additionally, they ensure annual work planning and fiscal planning efforts between area staff and CSFS Management Team are completed.
Percentage Of Time 10% Job Duty Category Supervision of permanent and hourly employees Duty/Responsibility
The Manager of Finance is responsible for the daily oversight and guidance two Accounting Tech III positions, the State Office Admin Assistant, and any State Office student hourly positions. Responsibilities include: ensuring regular communication with employees; developing and monitoring ongoing performance; creating annual development plans, conducting performance reviews as required, and updating those plans as needed. They are also expected to ensure the day-to-day safety of employees, and mentor and train seasonal and/or hourly staff as needed.
Percentage Of Time 15%
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, please apply by 12/03/2017, 11:59 pm (MT).
Required Application Materials: 1) Cover Letter, 2) The resume, 3) Professional References, 4) College transcripts of your Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or other related degree, 5) Supplemental Question responses.
Please allow at least three weeks for us to review your application materials and determine those candidates we plan to invite to interview. If you are not selected for an interview, we will send you notification when the process is complete. Should you be invited to an in-person interview, the Colorado State Forest Service will cover all reasonable travel expenses per candidate. At the time of on-campus interviews, application materials of finalist candidates will be made available to Forest Service and other relevant constituents. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License - Successful applicants must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license or access to a licensed driver by the employment start date., Special Requirements/Other - Irregular work hours and periodic long days, evening and weekend service, occasional off-district and periodic overnight travel. Search Contact For questions about this position or the application process, please contact
Sarah Badding at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-491-7293.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.