Description of Work Unit
Colorado State University seeks applications and nominations for the position of Associate Controller, a position in the Business and Financial Services (BFS) Department. Business and Financial Services exists to maintain and improve the processes which protect the financial integrity of Colorado State University to provide periodic financial information to various users, to support University financial system users (Fort Collins campus, Pueblo campus, and System office), to monitor transaction flow to assure compliance with Federal, State and University laws, regulations and policies, to analyze and interpret financial data as part of the overall control of University fiscal goals and concerns, and to formulate financial statements and reports in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
The Associate Controller is a key position within Business and Financial Services, providing operational support to the following units: Financial Reporting & Analysis, Kuali Financial System (KFS) Services, and Accounts Payable & Travel. This position ensures compliance with University Policy, Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE) Policy, State and Federal Statutes and ensures compliance with Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
The Associate Controller reports to the Executive Director, Business and Financial Services and Controller. This position is responsible for the preparation of the Annual Financial Statements, footnotes and statistical report schedules and State schedules. This position provides oversight to ensure efficient and effective reconciliations of central accounting functions; payment to vendors on a timely basis, travel desk; and KFS operations. This position must be able to apply CSU policies and procedures, State and Federal statutes and communicate effectively to campus constituents; as well as evaluate new GASB pronouncements to determine the impact on financial reporting and apply them on a timely basis.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or other related business discipline
- CPA certification. A Master’s Degree in Business or Accounting is an acceptable substitution.
- At least 3 years’ experience managing three or more professional level staff in a large complex environment.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in accounting preparing financial statements.
- Strong communication skills with ability to speak to all levels of an organization.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a complex government environment with revenues over $300 million.
- Demonstrated experience working with large mainframe accounting software.
- Demonstrated experience working in Higher Education.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Experience with Kuali Financial System.
- Strong problem solving experience.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to work on projects independently and in teams.
- Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Accounting/State Compliance Duty/Responsibility
- Preparation of annual financial statements, quarterly financial statements for the Board of Governors, reconciliation of various central accounts and State reporting.
- Preparation of timely and accurate financial statements in accordance with GAAP reporting standards.
- Monitors changes in applicable accounting and reporting standards and ensures university compliance.
- Preparation of management reports and other reporting required by management and external constituents.
- Manage the central accounting operations of the university including reviewing journal entries and accruals.
- Manage the preparation and review of accounting estimates including, but not limited to compensated absences, scholarship allowance, depreciation, and year end accruals.
- Ensure system and bank reconciliations are prepared and reviewed timely and in accordance with quality standards.
- Manage accounts payable and travel desk.
- Manage central accounting functions for plant fund accounting including accounting for real property, leases, fixed assets, debt, and construction in progress.
- Manage accounting and reporting required by the State and University.
- Ensure required state exhibits, financial statements, and reports are submitted timely and accurately.
- Confirms that university financial information is fed from the University’s financial system to the State CORE accounting system accurately and timely and in accordance with state requirements.
- Prepare variance analysis and answer inquiries from the Office of the State Controller.
Percentage Of Time 55 Job Duty Category Supervision Duty/Responsibility
- Review strategies for the staffing, organization, and management of the units within BFS that report to this position.
- Review goals and plans to achieve program mission.
- Monitor program guidelines.
- Document and resolve problems.
- Organize, control, and coordinate activities to achieve program objectives.
- Exercise compliance with federal, state, and institutional rules and regulations.
- Propose new programs, services initiatives, and outreach activities.
- Monitor unit resources through fiscal officer responsibilities on various accounts.
- Provide staff development and supervision for professional and clerical staff by: interviewing, hiring, and training; setting work schedules; planning and evaluating performance; mediating disputes; setting priorities and standards. Review employee work, establish goals, and maintain a high level of morale.
Percentage Of Time 25 Job Duty Category Coordination and Assurance Duty/Responsibility
- Ensure compliance with university quality standards for accounting and financial reporting in all areas of responsibility.
- Manage the preparation and ensure the timeliness of audit work papers and respond to inquiries from internal and external auditors.
- Review of all financial working papers that feed into the consolidated financial statements for the CSU-System.
Percentage Of Time 15 Job Duty Category Miscellaneous Duty/Responsibility
Other duties as assigned including, but not limited to inquiries from System Office/Senior Administrators, upgrades of the KFS system and implementation of new modules in the University’s ERP system (Kuali Financial System).
Percentage Of Time 5
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, please include:
- Cover letter detailing how your experience meets the required and preferred qualifications
- List of three (3) professional references noting name, phone number, email address and professional relationship (one must be a current or former supervisor). References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact Laura Snowhite, firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.