Electrical or Electro-mechanical Technician
Electrical or electro-mechanical technician in the Technology Department (TE), Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (TE-MSC), SCD Section.
You will join the Technology Department (TE) that is responsible for technologies which are specific to existing particle accelerators, facilities and future projects. More specifically you will integrate the Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (TE-MSC) Group which is responsible for the:
- Design, construction and measurements of superconducting and normal conducting Magnets for the CERN accelerator complex.
- Integration of superconducting and normal conducting Magnets in the CERN accelerator complex, magnet cryostats and magnet quality control.
- Support to operation of the accelerators for magnets, magnet performance, devices (current leads).
- Development of associated technologies, namely superconductors, insulation and polymers, superconducting electrical devices and magnetic measurements for present and future accelerators.
Within this group, you will be part of the Superconductor and Devices Section (TE-MSC-SD), which is responsible for:
- Superconducting materials, wires, tapes and cables for the CERN accelerators.
- Superconducting devices, i.e. power transmission lines and current leads.
- Superconducting laboratories for advanced materials characterization.
As an electrical or electro-mechanical technician, in the CERN TE-MSC-SCD Section, you will work on the development, prototyping, production and characterization of high-current superconducting cables for the superconducting magnets of the CERN accelerator complex, and in particular the high-current superconducting Nb3Sn Rutherford cables developed in the framework of the high-field magnet program for the LHC upgrades. You will:
- Operate the existing cabling machine and the associated equipment used for quality control of the cables, develop tools for performing mechanical and geometrical measurements on the cables.
- Perform material reception, acceptance tests, and organize storage of superconducting strands and cables.
- Prepare samples for optical image analysis and for other specific measurements performed at room temperature on strands and cables.
- Prepare samples of superconducting strands and cables for measurement of electro-mechanical properties at cryogenic temperatures.
- Participate in the development and assembly of sample holders used for the characterization of strands and cables at cryogenic temperatures.
- Participate in the operation of cryogenic test stations incorporating high-field superconducting magnets.
- Report on procedure and results of measurements, both in written form, and through presentations, as required.
The activity will involve interactions with different teams and services at CERN, as well as external laboratories and industry.
Higher technical diploma in the field of Electricity or electro-mechanics, or equivalent. Knowledge in the field of instrumentation and test, preferably in the field of applied superconductivity would be an asset.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Previous experience in electrical and electro-mechanical equipment construction, operation and maintenance.
- Electrical and electro-mechanical tests and measurements conducted in an industrial or laboratory environment.
- Quality control, quality assurance and inspection techniques on prototypes and small series of electrical and electro-mechanical equipment.
- Experience working with cryogenic equipment and vacuum would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Electro-mechanical testing: design and construction of test devices and systems for electrical and electro-mechanical tests.
- Installation & dismantling of electro-mechanical equipment.
- Maintenance & operation of electro-mechanical equipment.
- Operation of measurement systems, precision measurement electronics, data acquisition, process control.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: dividing extensive work/projects into manageable sub-tasks with clearly defined milestones.
- Solving problems: being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations or willingness to learn the other language.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 16.11.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.