Post Doctoral Fellow within Prostate Cancer and –omics Technologies
Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Position as Post Doctoral fellow within prostate cancer and –omics technologies
A Post Doctoral fellow position financed by the European Research Council (starting grant) is now open at the Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging (ISB), Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). The Post Doc will be part of the MR Cancer Group, which is a multidisciplinary research group working within the field of personalized cancer medicine.
For more information about the Department and the research group, see the following pages:
The period of employment for the position is three years (100%) with a desired start date of February 1st 2018. The position has the objective of qualifying for higher academic positions.
Correct diagnosis of early stage prostate cancer is challenging given the limitations of the currently available clinical tools and the biological understanding of the disease. In this project, we will use ‘omics’ technologies (metabolomics, transcriptomics, proteomics) as well as histopathology to be performed on the same prostate tissue sample. MR spectroscopy, MALDI-imaging, RNA sequencing will be important methodology. Our goal is to reveal the molecular mechanisms of novel, but also promising metabolite biomarkers and their connection to recurrence and tissue heterogeneity in human prostate cancer. The candidate will be involved in both laboratory work and analysis of large biological data sets. The project will be carried out in collaboration with Maastricht University, the Netherlands and University of Münster, Germany.
We seek a talented, enthusiastic and creative scientist with a strong commitment to research that suits the following criteria:
- A PhD degree within either molecular biology, analytical chemistry, molecular medicine, bioinformatics or equivalent degrees.
- A strong academic record.
- Proficiency in oral and written English
Emphasis will be placed on:
- The candidate’s motivation for the position
- Good cooperation and communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as the ability to collaborate interdisciplinary
- Documented practical and theoretical experience with magnetic resonance spectroscopy, mass spectrometry and RNA sequencing.
- Documented practical and theoretical experience from relevant molecular biology, histopathology, bioinformatics, biochemistry, biotechnology and analytical chemistry.
The following skills will be considered an advantage
- Programming skills (Matlab, R, Java, Python or similar)
- Experience with statistical analysis of large data sets (“big data”, chemometrics or similar)
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. If necessary, we will adapt the workplace for people with disabilities.
Chosen applicants will be invited to undergo an interview.
How to apply
Applicants are asked to apply via this page, www.jobbnorge.no, and to attach all relevant documents, see list below.
The candidate’s motivation, skills and personal qualifications for the position and project should be described in the application letter. The application should contain the following attachments:
- Applicant’s CV (including list of publications, relevant former positions and)
- Copy of relevant transcripts and diplomas
- A letter of recommendation from a supervisor or employer
- Contact information for two references (including email addresses and telephone number)
- Candidates from non-English speaking countries outside the Nordic countries can provide official documentation of their English competence. Approved tests are TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).The following results are required: TOEFL: 600/ writing 4.5 (paper-based test), 92 / writing 22 (internet-based test) IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted) CAE/CPE:grade B or A.
- Other relevant information
Candidates from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a Diploma Supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree: http://ec.europa.eu/education/tools/diploma-supplement_en.htm
Terms of employment for the position:
The appointment of the Postdoctoral Fellow will be made according to Norwegian guidelines for universities and university colleges and to the general regulations regarding university employees. NTNU’s personnel policy objective is that the staff must reflect the composition of the population to the greatest possible extent.
Depending on qualifications and academic background, Postdoctoral Research Fellows (code 1352) at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences will be remunerated at a minimum of NOK 490 500 per annum before tax. Normal wage level is NOK 490 500 – 517 300, of which 2% is deducted for the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
For further information about the position, please contact:
For further information about the application process, contact:
HR Consultant Sissel Sollien, email; email@example.com, mobile: mobile + 47 48 05 11 91
The Application deadline is 27.10.2017.
Please note that applications will be assessed based on the information submitted at this page. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Please note that under the Norwegian Civil Service Act, information about applicants may be made public even though the applicant has requested not to be included on the list of applicants.