Chief Finance Officer
Chief Finance Officer
Salary: Attractive six figure remuneration package
Location: Central London
UEL can trace its roots back to 1898 when the Borough of West Ham established a technical institute to serve the local community. The institute was to be a “people’s university” in the words of John Passmore Edwards, speaking at the opening ceremony. This ambition remains at the heart of the mission of UEL today. Many of its students are the first in their family to attend university and have often already demonstrated remarkable levels of resilience and achievement. In providing them with the opportunity to become change agents who will help to transform their communities, UEL seeks to ensure that they are equipped with the levels of educational attainment that they need to succeed in their future careers.
The University has more than 17,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students from 135 different countries studying on UEL-awarded programmes. It employs more than 1,400 staff and has a turnover of £140 million. The University operates across three sites - one in London’s Royal Docks area and two in Stratford, east London. All are within easy reach of central London.
UEL is now seeking an exceptional individual to take on the role of Chief Finance Officer, leading finance, estates & facilities, IT and UEL Sports, and playing a central role in enabling this pioneering institution to position itself to tackle the challenges and embrace the opportunities of a continually evolving Higher Education sector.
- As a member of the Vice Chancellor’s Group (VCG) and reporting directly to the Vice Chancellor, you will provide effective financial stewardship to the University, ensuring its financial sustainability, alongside the strategic leadership of the University’s services including estates and facilities, IT, and UEL Sport.
- You will lead and inspire the finance team to deliver innovative and effective financial services and operations for the University with full accountability for budgeting, accounting, financial planning and performance, procurement, business strategy and solvency, thereby playing a key role in steering the institution’s future growth and development.
- As the centre of London shifts rapidly east, UEL’s finance function will be crucial in enabling the University to realise emerging opportunities that reflect the University’s civic mission and which transform lives.
- Much more than a pure finance professional, you will demonstrate the intellectual agility to actively contribute to a wide range of leadership and management issues within the senior leadership team, as well as across the University.
- You will possess exceptional leadership, interpersonal and communicative skills that enable you to build rapport across a broad cross-section of internal and external stakeholders.
- You will thrive in environments where change is the norm and be prepared to meet the challenges of a continually evolving Higher Education landscape.
- As with all senior roles at UEL, the Chief Finance Officer is expected to share the University’s values around civic engagement and celebration of the diversity of its community.
While a solid understanding of the changing nature of higher education is desirable, the university welcomes applications from high calibre candidates from other sectors who demonstrate empathy for universities and, importantly, an innate curiosity and desire to build upon UEL’s academic successes.
How to Apply
In the first instance, please contact Owen Francis for further particulars and a confidential conversation about the role on +44 (0) 207 333 1548.
Please send your CV and cover letter, quoting reference HN135060THE to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 8th November at 17.00 hours GMT.
Harvey Nash plc is an Employment Agency as defined in The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.