Associate, Development and Commercialisation
Assist with the identification, evaluation and development of commercial opportunities arising from the University’s research activities
- Manage a diverse portfolio of opportunities with high potential
- Influential position in a World-class research institute
- Be part of building a brighter future for life in the tropics world-wide
We now have an exciting opportunity for an Associate, Development & Commercialisation within the Division of Research and Innovation at James Cook University (JCU). A continuing appointment, this position is based at the Townsville campus located in picturesque tropical north Queensland, where you can enjoy a tropical lifestyle whilst still achieving your career goals.
Reporting to the Manager, Development & Commercialisation, you will be instrumental in identifying, evaluating and developing commercial opportunities arising from the University’s research activities, including protection and commercialisation of its research intellectual property through strategies such as licensing and start-up companies.
- Work closely with JCU researchers to identify and develop licensing, partnering and start-up company opportunities;
- Educate researchers on commercialisation and coordinate ongoing ventures and commercialisation projects.
- Undertake analysis and provide recommendations regarding the identification and prosecution of intellectual property pathways for qualified projects from JCU, including patents and the management of databases that record various patent families.
A key influencer, you will enjoy developing close working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including JCU’s research leaders, key professional staff, industry, government and the community to support innovative and commercially astute research partnerships for JCU.
You will also have
- excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively and negotiate with a diverse range of stakeholders;
- Demonstrated broad experience or exposure to intellectual property management, and assessing legal contracts and agreements;
- significant problem solving skills to work with complex material, adapting commercialisation analytical techniques to a broad range of contexts;
- well-developed organisational and time management skills with the ability to apply sound judgement and manage competing deadlines.
The Division of Research and Innovation plays a pivotal role in the University by developing and implementing research policy, identifying and fostering research strength, and promoting and coordinating collaboration with governments, industry, publicly funded research agencies and other universities.
As part of the Division of Research and Innovation, Research Services supports and advances the research activities of the University through the provision of administrative, financial, reporting and information services. We aim to advance the reputation and performance of James Cook University as a major international research university through best practice in research management.
A defining feature of JCU is its tropical location and its research excellence in disciplines of particular relevance to the tropics.
- Ranked in the top 2 percent of the world's tertiary institutions;
- Our unique location enables students to study in a diverse physical environment unparalleled by any university in the world;
- Conduct nationally significant and internationally recognised research;
- World class teaching and research facilities
Culture & Benefits
JCU offers a culturally diverse working environment with opportunities for professional and personal growth as well as diverse career opportunities. JCU prides itself on being dedicated to teaching, learning and research that is not only of high quality, but also delivers practical benefits to the peoples and industries of the region.
- Generous superannuation scheme with up to 17% employer contributions
- five weeks annual recreation leave
- flexible working arrangements
- attractive options for salary packaging.
- Relocation assistance maybe may be offered to the successful candidate at contract negotiation stage.
If you are an established professional looking to influence our future, please apply today at www.jcu.edu.au/jobs
Applications close: Midnight, 7 November 2017