Director, Core Analytical Facilities
The University is looking for qualified and experienced individuals for the below stated position;
The position is based at BIUST Campus, Palapye.
The position is offered on a contract basis of up to five years.
OFFICE OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
DIRECTOR, CORE ANALYTICAL FACILITIES
Main Purpose of the Job
- Develop fully fledged core Analytical Facilities together with BIUST senior researchers, academics and management, including but not limited to Geochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Food Technology and Biotechnology, Sample Preparation and Processing, Engineering Laboratories, Coal Analysis, and Liquids and Gas Fuels.
- Work closely with the Deans, the management team and Heads of Departments, Managers of Research Platforms and other key academic staff as appropriate, and ensure that the research facilities are optimally used to effectively sustain the University Research and Development objectives.
- Equip the laboratories with the state of the art equipment which shall facilitate world class research and technology development.
- Operate and maintain the facilities to world class standards and achieve the required International Accreditation.
- Liaise and collaborate with academic staff, university Management and Faculties to undertake responsibility for research, innovation and development in order to keep abreast with the latest developments and improvement in instrumentation.
- In collaboration with the Private Sector and cooperating partners, ensure that all external funding sources are exploited as effectively as possible in support of BIUST Research and Development Programmes.
- Experience in commercializing laboratory services.
- Ensure that fit – for – purpose resources, fit for purpose facilities and human capacity and capability are fully available as BIUST develops into an Institution of Excellence in higher learning and advanced research.
- Promote sustainable research partnerships with other national, regional, international collaborators and institutions to form strong linkages in research and collaboration.
Qualification and Experience
- A Doctorate Degree in a Science, Engineering or Technology discipline.
- Must have strong academic credentials and/or industry experience
- A minimum of ten (10) years relevant post qualification experience.
- Must have a minimum of three (3) years’ experience at senior level positions from an academic institution and/or industry. Previous exposure and management of laboratory facilities at a senior level in an academic institution would be an added advantage.
The position requires a demonstrated record of achievement in the following Competencies/Skills:
- Ability to give expert professional advice and guidance on aspects of Core Analytical Facilities, instrumentation and acquisition of research equipment for a start-up university
- Previous experience in laboratory accreditation.
- Abreast of current university research challenges and needs systems, research themes, processes and procedures.
- Ability to foster strong working relationships and collaborations with other national, regional and international institutions
- Demonstrated capacity in the development of research and analytical procedures and guidelines in a new and growing university environment.
- Ability to raise funding for acquisition of new equipment, especially in partnership/collaboration with the private sector
- Computer literate and knowledge of experience in application software and database systems to capture research data
The University offers an attractive package, commensurate with qualification and experience.
If you meet the requirements of the above stated position, please send your application letter quoting the reference number above and a detailed Curriculum Vitae, certified true copies of your certificates, practicing certificates, professional registration certificate and two (2) current professional references to;
Director, Human Resources at the email address below: firstname.lastname@example.org
For any further enquiries, you may call Ms. Chakandinakira or Ms. Modise @ +267 4900117
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled