Associate/Assistant Professor in Print and Online Journalism
Mass Communication Department
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences(CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, the newly established three research centers namely Center for Social Science and Humanities, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University, one of very few departments in the world internationally accredited by ACEJMC outside of the USA, offers a Bachelor of Arts program with three areas of specialization: Print/Online Journalism, Strategic Communication, and Broadcast Journalism.
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University invites applications for Lecturer / Assistant / Associate / Full Professor in Print/Online Journalism.
The department of Mass Communication is seeking dynamic individuals who can provide expertise and leadership in the areas of sports journalism, media writing, newspaper design and editing, investigative journalism, online journalism, communication and media research methods, photojournalism, web design and publishing, and visual communication. We seek candidates with innovative ideas who will be able to teach and help foster a potentially thriving broadcast journalism program. Candidates must be qualified and experienced in teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels.
The successful candidate is expected to teach in Arabic. English proficiency is highly desirable. The position also requires the successful applicant to be engaged in student advising and course development, serve on department, college, and university-wide committees, conduct scholarly activities including research and/or creative endeavors, and be involved in department, faculty and student activities.
A Ph.D. is required with relevant professional experience. An MA holder with considerable professional experience in Print or Online Journalism may be considered for a lecturer position. Candidates for this position should have a record of previous high-quality teaching experience as well as professional experience and/or scholarly/creative activities in the area of emphasis. Candidates are expected to be effective teacher-scholars, to teach in both the undergraduate and graduate programs, and to be involved in outreach efforts to the community.
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the ability to participate in the department’s interdisciplinary teaching, research, and creative activities in addition to their specific areas of specialization.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach courses in area of specialization
- Contribute to various committees at the Department, College, and University levels
- Contribute to the research profile of the College through research and creative endeavors.
- Serve as student advisor
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
- Ph. D. in the relevant area of emphasis
- Strong peer reviewed publication record
- Teaching experience at tertiary level
- Familiarity with educational technology
- Willingness to work with teams
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (Arabic and English).
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.