Vacuum technician for the design and operation of vacuum systems in the Technology Department (TE), Vacuum Surfaces and Coatings group (TE-VSC), Beam Vacuum Operation (TE-VSC-BVO).
You will join:
- The Beam Vacuum Operation (BVO) section, taking care of the design and procurement, assessment and assembly, operation and maintenance of most of the CERN's vacuum systems. The vacuum test laboratory provide characterization of accelerator equipment by means of outgassing measurement and residual gas analysis. In addition to interventions in the accelerators, the tasks encompass assessment of ultrahigh vacuum components, evaluation of performance of getter coatings, and qualification of materials and surface finishing for vacuum application.
As a Vacuum Technician in the TE-VSC-BVO Section, you will:
- Install vacuum equipment in the CERN's accelerators and test tightness by helium leak detection.
- Monitor the pressure profile recorded by vacuum gauges, in particular in the LHC's cryogenic beam pipes.
- Test vacuum components prior to installation by pumping speed and outgassing rate measurement, and residual gas analysis.
- Participate in the design of vacuum equipment.
- Procure ultrahigh vacuum pumps and components, writing functional and detailed specifications.
- Participate in the accelerators' maintenance and consolidation programmes.
- Provide writing reports of measurement tests and accelerator interventions.
- Participate in the regular stand-by duty service of the VSC group.
Higher technical diploma in the field of mechanics, measurements, material instrumentation, chemical or equivalent experience.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in operation of ultrahigh vacuum systems.
- Demonstrated experience in the measurement of outgassing rates and residual gas analysis by mass spectrometry.
- Proven experience in helium leak detection.
- Demonstrated experience in writing specifications for vacuum equipment.
- Previous experience in design and technical drawing of vacuum components.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Knowledge of materials for UHV technology.
- Residual gas analysis.
- Commissioning, maintenance & operation of vacuum systems.
- Installation of vacuum systems.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; actively seeking feedback on own performance and taking steps to improve it.
- Working in the interest of the Organization: demonstrating motivation for own work, being enthusiastic, involved and energetic in pursuing tasks.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely.
The language competencies required are:
- Good knowledge of English is required. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and to make technical presentations in English.
- Basic knowledge of French language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.11.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.