Research Fellow - Communication and Information
The Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information (WKWSCI) and the psychology program at the School of Social Sciences (SSS), Nanyang Technological University, invites applications for a postdoctoral research fellow. The successful candidate will be based in the laboratories of Dr. Benjamin H. Detenber, WKWSCI, and Dr. Joyce S. Pang, SSS.
We aim to support a highly promising scholar with a background in psychology, communication, or related disciplines. The scholar's research expertise should engage with the intersection between social, personality psychology, and computer-mediated communication, and could touch on topics such as intergroup processes, group dynamics, cyberpsychology, among others.
The successful applicant will be expected to oversee a project examining factors in online interactions that influence group identity and behavior. It is expected that the successful applicant will be involved in a number of critical tasks, including
- draft IRB applications;
- design and execute online surveys;
- design and run controlled experiments with human subjects;
- analyse data and write-up findings for publication;
- supervise undergraduate and graduate research assistants;
- assist in grant-related paperwork and liaisons with the funding agency;
- assist in the development of a content-coding system for online social interactions
Applications are welcome from candidates who have or expect to have a Ph.D. by the preferred start date, January 1, 2018. They may not be employed by another institution during the term of their appointment.
Ideally, applicants should have strong verbal, organizational, and analytical skills, and be familiar with the cultural context of Singapore. Some experience with university research administrative is preferred. Good familiarity with methodology and software used (e.g., SPSS, R) in such research is required.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the applicant's previous accomplishments, the alignment of the applicant’s interest with the proposed research project, and the applicant's ability to contribute to the intellectual life of the programs in WKWSCI and SSS, and Drs. Detenber and Pang’s laboratory group.
Term of Appointment
The term of appointment is 1.5 years, beginning early 2018. Applicants are expected to be in residence for the duration of the appointment. Nanyang Technological University offers competitive salary and employee benefits.
How to Apply
A complete application will include the following materials:
1. A current curriculum vitae;
2. A representative manuscript or publication;
3. Contact information for three referees, who will be asked to comment specifically on your qualifications for the proposed research project. Referees will be contacted directly by email with instructions for uploading letters of reference.
These materials should be submitted via email either to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2017 for full consideration. We cannot accept application materials by any other method. Applications lacking any of the elements listed above may be at a disadvantage. We will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.