Survey Engineer in the Engineering department (EN), Alignment, Coordination and Engineering group (ACE-group), Large Scale Metrology section (SU-section).
You will join:
- The EN Engineering Department provides CERN with the Engineering Competences, Infrastructure Systems and Technical Coordination required for the design, installation, operation, maintenance and dismantling phases of the CERN accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The EN/ACE Group (Alignment, Coordination and Engineering) is providing overarching project coordination for the accelerator complex, including layout management, integration, scheduling, work and safety coordination, as well as for different projects and provides support and expertise in matter of project, risks and quality management as well as organizational process; It is also developing and supporting the Organization's engineering, equipment data, maintenance management tools and mechanicals CAD systems; The Group is also responsible for the metrology and the alignment of accelerators and detectors components.
- The Large Scale Metrology (SU) section is responsible for the metrology and alignment of accelerators and detectors. This involves accurately positioning the components of accelerators and detectors, and maintaining the geodetic networks along the 63 km of beam lines and in the big experimental caverns at CERN. Its activities also include the dimensional quality checks of the accelerator and detector components before their installation, from their manufacture, to their assembly and calibration. The activities often require development of new methodologies and new instruments to achieve the required accuracy.
As a Survey engineer of the EN-ACE-SU section, you will reinforce the team in charge of the monitoring and micrometric alignment of current and future accelerators. In this role you will:
- For the HL-LHC project, be responsible for all the survey and alignment tasks concerning the monitoring of the position of superconducting magnets and RF cavities inside their cryostats. This covers the qualification of the measurements methods and instrumentation, their integration and installation in the test area, the calibration and validation of sensors and associated targets, the study of the best configuration via simulations, the preparation and performance of measurements from the fiducialisation to the assembly.
- Be in charge of the maintenance of alignment systems such as Hydrostatic Levelling sensors (HLS), Wire Positioning Sensors (WPS), as well as the adjustment solutions (load sensors, actuators) of the LHC quadrupoles magnets.
- Manage all the sensors of the team: coordinate the maintenance and calibration carried out by the sensor laboratory, prepare the qualification procedure of the new sensors and their associated test benches, ensure the quality and the integrity of the data located in the corresponding database.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of in the field of Survey and Geodesy or Topography, or equivalent.Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the domain of high accuracy geodetic metrology and in the domain of micrometric alignment systems.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Use of high accuracy survey instruments (theodolites, total stations, optical & digital levers) ; expert level with very good knowledge of the instruments and methods.
- Laser tracker measurements ; expert level.
- Knowledge of capacitive, inductive and ultrasonic technology sensors ; wps, hls or bcam ; very good level.
- Expert use of standard compensation software ; see free text.
- Use data acquisition and treatment software ; good knowledge of matlab and sa.
To add to the Expert use of standard compensation software ; very good knowledge and practice experience of theories, concepts and algorithms relative to the least squares adjustment and the stochastic analysis applied to different problems of large scale metrology.
- Use of Office software packages: Word, Excel, PowerPoint ; advanced level.
- Good knowledge and practical experience in one or several following areas will be an asset:
- Frequency Scanning Interferometry.
- Micrometric adjustment solutions.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team ; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others.
- Demonstrating accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak; utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language (or willingness to learn it) in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.11.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.