Section Head of Writing Support
Student Learning & Support Center
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Student Affairs contributes to the educational mission of Qatar University by providing innovative opportunities, quality programs, and efficient services that enrich the students’ learning experience and their personal development.
Qatar University was founded in 1973 and is a member of the Arab Universities Federation and the International Federation of Universities. Qatar University offers Foundation programs as well as Undergraduate and Graduate degree programs to over 8,000 enrolled students. Please visit the QU website (www.qu.edu.qa) to learn more about our degree programs, our research, university facilities, and campus life.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and guidance to two writing support units: the English Writing Lab and the Arabic Writing lab
- Engages in ongoing strategic planning and development for the Section for Writing Support
- Recruits, supervises, and evaluates unit heads and writing support facilitators
- Oversees and evaluates new writing support programs and their associated procedures
- Conducts regular meetings with unit heads
- Creates and implements a staff development plan for the Section for Writing Support
- Leads university initiatives related to the development of student writing skills
- Communicates and coordinates with Colleges and other Student Affairs departments to serve the writing needs of incoming and continuing students
- Collaborates with deans and department heads to ensure SLSC writing support services are aligned with departmental curriculum and learning objectives
- Develops section initiatives to support the academic integration of new students into university life
- Develops effective program assessment strategies and oversees the assessment of SLSC writing support services
- Creates and periodically reviews policies and procedures for the section
- Produces section and program usage reports, as well as periodic reports on student progress and achievement
- Serves as the point of contact for deans, department heads, and directors regarding general student writing issues and intervention strategies
- Represents the SLSC on university committees and taskforces at the discretion of the Center director
- Assists with the academic integration of students during New Student Orientation and other university-wide initiatives
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in Composition and Rhetoric, English Language and/or Literature, Arabic Language and/or Literature, TESOL, Applied Linguistics, or related field
- Minimum of five years of experience teaching English, Arabic, and/or managing writing support services
- Evidence of excellent leadership, planning, and organizational skills and previous experience training and supervising staff
- Arabic and English language ability strongly preferred
- Experience in using assessment methods and best practices in academic support services
- Knowledge of college student development theory
- Familiarity and experience with trends in Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) and in the disciplines.
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.