Senior Coordinator, University Advancement Development
Description of Work Unit
This is the best time to join Colorado State University. Over the past eight years, CSU has consistently surpassed fundraising records, doubled alumni participation in philanthropy, and closed two of the largest gifts in the university’s history. Soon after exceeding its first campaign goal of $500 million in 2012, CSU embarked on a much more ambitious path: The $1 billion “State Your Purpose – The Campaign for Colorado State University.” To date, CSU has raised more than $760 million, and with three years remaining in the campaign, yet another fundraising record will be set.
Under the leadership of CSU President Tony Frank, campus support for the Division of University Advancement has increased significantly. Faculty engagement in development is at an all-time high and cross-disciplinary fundraising models are emerging across the university. This makes the role and function of University Advancement-Development all the more critical as CSU continues on its path of fundraising excellence.
Division of University Advancement is integral to achieving and sustaining institutional excellence through fundraising and engagement efforts. The Division has one of the leading development teams in the country and places a strong emphasis on professional and personal growth for its employees, including educational opportunities, onboarding and mentoring programs.
Fort Collins is known as “The Choice City” because of its proximity to the beautiful Rocky Mountains, excellent schools, 300+ days of sunshine yearly, thriving arts scene, eclectic shops and restaurants, and miles of walking and biking paths.
The Office of the Associate Vice President for University Advancement (UA) at Colorado State University seeks a full-time Senior Coordinator. We are seeking a successful individual who has a proven track record with collaboration, time management, and organization. Our vision is to build one of the nation’s premier advancement teams that will engage philanthropists to support the mission of Colorado State University. The position will be located in Fort Collins, Colorado and will report to the Associate Vice President of University Advancement.
This position will build relationships across the division and campus, as well as with major gift donors. This position will help to oversee budget, fundraising metrics, donor connection as well as assist with managing the fundraising units alongside the Associate Vice President.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2 – 3 years full-time professional experience in project/office management role
- Experience working with donors and volunteers
- Ability to travel and work non-standard hours, including early mornings, evenings, and weekends with a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation or access to a driver.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Traits of good judgment, confidentiality and discretion in communication with colleagues and constituents.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with project management.
- Strong organizational skills, experience tracking multiple projects.
- Problem solver; possess the ability to anticipate and address upcoming assignments and solve potential road blocks or problems.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Be willing and able to work irregular hours, including weekends.
- Exercise initiative, independent judgment and discretion while maintaining confidential files and records.
- Knowledge of and relevant ability with, culturally diverse communities among potential target and constituent populations.
- Experience with development databases such as Advance.
- Knowledge of CSU a plus
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Project Management/Programs Duty/Responsibility
- Assist AVP in tracking, verifying, and maintain fundraising fiscal year effort goals for UAD through the division’s workbook process and with the leads in Corporate and Foundation Relations, Gift Planning and Regional Development.
- Oversee and plan financial and human resources assigned to a variety of projects. Work with the University Advancement Development team as needed to accomplish the completion of assigned projects.
- Deliver special projects and act as the central point of contact for internal and external customers on a variety of assigned projects
- Responsible for the scope of projects and ensure that communication is clearly stated and defined by the University Advancement Development team and that the handoff from leadership to project management is coordinated and documented
- Analyze program/project success and determine next steps, managing staff who are not meeting timelines or going over budget on a project, providing customer service to dissatisfied constituents, and managing stakeholder demands.
Percentage Of Time 50% Job Duty Category Prospect Cultivation and Donor Relations Duty/Responsibility
- Provide leadership in managing donor relations efforts including cultivation, solicitation and stewardship needs for the prospect portfolio of the Associate Vice President of Advancement in conjunction with other central teams (i.e. CSU Events, Donor Relations & Stewardship, etc.)
- Represent the University in interactions with major gift donors, via telephone, email, and in person. Work to ensure that donor concerns are anticipated and addressed and that Colorado State University is represented in an exemplary fashion.
- Effectively and efficiently respond to inquiries from alumni, guest and donors (by phone, email and in person) on behalf of University Advancement Development and the Office of the Associate Vice President for Advancement.
Percentage Of Time 15% Job Duty Category Human Resources Duty/Responsibility
- Oversee and manage the hiring process for all UAD student coordinators including writing job descriptions, job posting, applicant coordination, interviews, coordinator with UA HR (background checks, new hire paperwork), AV/technology needs, etc.
- Motivate student performance through coordination of student staff appreciation events, incentives, professional development opportunities, etc.
- Administer mid-year and end-of-year evaluations in coordination with a student’s direct supervisor.
- Facilitate onboarding and semester trainings.
- Manage merit-work study application process. Conduct exit interviews.
- Oversee onboarding of all new hires in UAD while coordinating with other CSU and UA offices such as HR, IT, and Talent Management, Training and Support
- Organize and manage the mid-year and end-of-year evaluation process for all UAD staff and direct reports to the Associate Vice President for Advancement
- Independently identify and resolve issues and determine appropriate action
Percentage Of Time 10% Job Duty Category Development Operations Duty/Responsibility
- Manage operations for the Office of the Associate Vice President for Advancement and University Advancement Development
- Serve as POC for all meeting requests for Associate Vice President for Advancement. Maintain integrity of calendar appointments (start/end time, travel needed, locations, etc.).
- Manage all in-state, out-of-state and international travel needs for Associate Vice President for Advancement including coordination with CSU approved travel agencies and internal travel office, lodging, flights, ground transportation, conference/event registration, and travel authorizations/reimbursements.
- Monitor p-card transactions and reimbursements by Associate Vice President for Advancement and process and submit necessary documentation.
- Facilitate various administrative needs of UAD.
Percentage Of Time 10% Job Duty Category Budget Duty/Responsibility
- Co-manage with the AVP the annual budget for Campaign Operations (approximately $80,000). Ensures prudent management in alignment with State of Colorado procurement policies and guidelines.
- Manage complex data structures in Advance/AWA and create reports for the AVP.
- Analyze and track the UAD budget and manage financial documentation and processes. Serves as liaison between UAD and UA Finance department.
Percentage Of Time 15%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please demonstrate in your cover letter and resume any and all of the preferred qualifications that you meet. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
A $5,000 moving allowance may be negotiated at the time of hire.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but for full consideration, all materials must be received by 11:59pm on October 15, 2017. Prospective candidates should submit materials consisting of (1) a letter of interest responding to each of the qualifications; (2) resume; and (3) addresses and telephone numbers of three individuals, one of whom is/was an immediate supervisor, who has firsthand knowledge of applicant’s professional abilities.
For any questions, please direct them to the search Chair, Natalie Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License, Travel
Search Contact Nat.email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Executive Director of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.