Testing Technician in the Technology Department (TE), Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (MSC), Test Facilities section (TF).
The Superconducting Magnet Test Facility (TF) section is responsible for cold powering test of magnets and the development of all associated technologies. The section does tests, analysis of the test measurement data in collaboration with other sections and gives feedback to design to the R&D or production magnets. The Test Facilities (TF) section is responsible for the operation of the superconducting magnets test facilities, of the exploitation, maintenance and improvements of the infrastructures.
Together with a test engineer, you will participate in the operation and maintenance of the installations as well as the magnet testing at both, room and cryogenic temperatures. Under the supervision of a senior test engineer and in collaboration with other groups, you will develop, manufacture and exploit the instrumentation of the test installations; you will use measuring systems and participate in the data acquisition treatment and analysis.
As a Electrical Technician in the Superconducting Magnet Test Facility (TF) section, you will perform the following duties:
Testing of superconducting magnets and components
- Preparation of the magnet to test through electrical tests both at room and at cold temperatures
- Set up and adjust electronics used for the protection, verify the interlock system and communicate with support groups.
- Use of LabVIEW based tools for measurements and measured data analysis
- Remove and correct defective instruments and wiring if needed during tests
Maintenance of the testing equipment
- Inspect, test, adjust, and repair electric, electronic, instruments and systems used to indicate, record, and control signals used for the operations of the cryogenic test facility.
- Test accuracy of instruments as pressure gauges, temperature indicators, controllers, and other recording, indicating or controlling instruments to locate defective components in system
- Calibrate readings on instruments according to standards to ensure accuracy of recording and indicating function.
- Record calibrations made, parts and components used, and inventory of parts on hand.
- Prepare schematic drawings, sketches, and reports to reflect changes or alterations made in instruments, circuits, and systems.
Technical diploma the field of in Electronics, Industrial control, Instrumentation, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Experience in testing and more precisely testing electrical systems.
- Proven experience in electrical instrumentations (as thermometers, strain gauges, level meters, valves, etc).
- Experience in interpreting electrical/electronic circuits.
- A good understanding of principles of safety systems.
- Initial experience in superconductivity and/or cryogenics would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Installation and maintenance of Basic process instrumentation (temperature, pressure, flow, level).
- Design and development of crates and racks.
- Knowledge of cryogenic processes: installation and maintenance of cryo-instrumentation.
- Management and configuration of data acquisition and test systems: experience in labview and diadem is not mandatory but appreciated.
- Use of Office software packages.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely; identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; making appropriate use of the Organization's resources.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; objectively assessing and monitoring own work; regularly reporting on progress and advising of any changes in schedule or priorities; producing comprehensive work/project plans taking into account resources and contingencies.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
The language competencies required are:
- Good knowledge of English or French; basic knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 29.10.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.