Applied Physicist or Scientist on advanced Superconductors
- Full Time
Technology Department (TE) in the Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats Group (TE-MSC), for the Superconductor and Devices Section (SCD).
You will join the Technology Department (TE) that is responsible for technologies which are specific to existing particle accelerators, facilities and future projects. More specifically you will integrate the Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (TE-MSC) Group which is responsible for:
- Superconducting materials, wires, tapes and cables for the CERN accelerator complex.
- Superconducting devices, e.g. current leads and electrical transfer lines.
- Laboratories for characterization of advanced superconducting materials.
As an Applied Physicist or Scientist on advanced Superconductors, you will join a team of scientists and technicians in the CERN TE-MSC-SCD Section, and work on the development, characterization and prototyping of superconductors, high-current superconducting cables and associated electrical devices.
- Take responsibility for the characterization of superconducting materials, strands and cables at liquid helium temperature, including the definition of dedicated experiments on existing or new test installations, test program and analysis of test results.
- Take responsibility for the design of test stations operated at liquid helium temperatures and conceive experiments for the measurement of structural, electrical, magnetic and mechanical properties of superconductors.
- Participate in the activity of the superconductor laboratories, which includes performance of electrical measurements at cryogenic temperatures and design and construction of dedicated sample holders.
- Report on design, manufacturing and test results, both in written form, and presentations, as required.
The activity requires interacting with different teams and services at CERN, as well as external laboratories and industry.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of applied physics or electrical engineering, or equivalent.
A Ph.D. in any of the above, and knowledge of applied superconductivity would be advantage.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in applied superconductivity, LTS and HTS materials and their applications.
- Experience in electromechanical design of superconducting devices.
- Experience in simulation and analysis in the field of applied superconductivity.
- Experience in the field of cryogenic tests and measurements involving superconductivity (materials and cables, magnets or other devices), data acquisition hardware and software.
- Knowledge of low temperature and high-field material properties.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Knowledge of superconducting materials and High Temperature Superconductivity.
- Electromagnetic calculation & modelling: design, processing and operation of cryogenic stations for electro-magnetic tests.
- Electromagnetic calculation & modelling: electro-magnetic tests: measurement techniques and laboratory activity, precision measurement electronics, data acquisition.
- Knowledge, manufacturing, follow-up and QA of production of SC strands and SC cables.
- Use of Scientific and Engineering software packages.
- Data reduction and modelling techniques for applied physics, with special accent to electromagnetic and thermal phenomena.
- Knowledge of thermodynamics.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: dividing extensive work / projects into manageable sub-tasks with clearly defined milestones.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Solving problems: being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations. Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 22.10.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.