PhD in Biomedicine/Biostatistics
Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
A position as a PhD candidate in biomedicine/biostatistics is open at the Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging (ISB), Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, NTNU Trondheim.
The PhD candidate will be part of the MR Cancer Group, which is a multidisciplinary research group working within the field of personalized cancer medicine. For more information about the department and the research group, see the following pages: http://www.ntnu.edu/isb and http://www.ntnu.edu/isb/mr-cancer.
The position has fixed-term duration of three years (100%) with a desired start date early 2018.
In this project we aim to use metabolic phenotyping of biofluids and cancer tissue to predict individual breast cancer risk, and to detect underlying mechanisms for resistance to breast cancer treatment. Metabolic profiling will be performed by MR spectroscopy, mass spectrometry and MALDI imaging, and metabolic data will also be combined with data from other molecular levels, such as genomics data. The candidate will be involved in both laboratory work and analysis of large biological data sets.
We seek a talented candidate with interest in biomedicine and data analysis, and with a high motivation and commitment to research. The project will be carried out in collaboration with The Big Data lab, NTNU Ålesund, and programming skills will be an advantage.
- Master`s degree in biostatistics, analytical chemistry, molecular medicine or equivalent programme, with an average grade of B or higher (A to E grading system; A highest).
- Excellent command of English (written and oral)
- A strong emphasis will be placed on personal motivation and proven ability to work independently and in team.
The following skills will be considered an advantage, but are not required
- Experience with magnetic resonance spectroscopy and/or mass spectrometry
- Programming skills (Matlab, R, Java, Python or similar)
- Experience with statistical analysis of large data sets (“big data”, chemometrics or similar)
- Knowledge of cancer biology
- Challenging and exciting work in a well-organized interdisciplinary research group
- Good pension, insurance and loan schemes through the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
Depending on qualifications and academic background, PhD Candidates (code 1017) at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences will be remunerated at a minimum of NOK 436 500 per year before tax. Normal wage level is NOK 436 500 – 499 200 of which 2% is deducted for the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The appointment will be made in accordance with current regulations and supplementary rules with guidelines for employment as PhD Candidate appointments at universities and university colleges.
How to apply:
Applicants are asked to apply via this page. The application should contain the following attachments:
- Applicants’ CV (including list of publications, relevant former positions and references) and copy of relevant transcripts and diplomas.
- Short statement on the applicant’s personal qualifications and motivation for the position.
- Short statement from a former supervisor/tutor/teacher.
- Contact information for two references.
- Other relevant attachments.
Candidates from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a Diploma Supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree: http://ec.europa.eu/education/tools/diploma-supplement_en.htm
The Faculty of Medicine and Health Science want to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities.
We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, disability or cultural background.
Applications are to be submitted electronically via www.jobbnorge.no within the deadline of 20.10.2017.
For further information about the position, please contact:
For further information about the application process, contact:
HR Consultant Sissel Sollien, email; email@example.com, mobile + 47 48 05 11 91