Assistant Professor in Formal Methods, Discrete Structures, or Quantum Information Processing
Assistant Professor Position in Formal Methods, Discrete Structures, or Quantum Information Processing
Department Department of Computer Science – Faculty of Informatics
Deadline 12 Nov 2017
Start date By mutual agreement.
The Dean of the Faculty of Informatics MU invites applications for a position of Assistant Professor in any field of theoretical computer science, but preference will be given to the following areas: modeling and verification of computer systems, controller synthesis and performance evaluation for computer systems, quantum information processing. The candidates are expected to have an excellent international research record in the subjected area or in closely related disciplines, and very good teaching abilities in English and/or Czech languages.
The position is focussed both on research and teaching. The candidates are expected to carry out research of top international quality and show enthusiasm for teaching and student supervision, and a large amount of flexibility in teaching subjects that are not directly related to their areas of research. In particular, the candidates should be able to prepare and deliver tutorials and lectures in (at least some of) the following areas:
- Foundations of theoretical computer science
- Programming, algorithms, and data structures
- Cryptography and quantum information processing
- Probability and game theory in computer science
- The candidates are expected to help with supervising PhD students and eventually obtain research projects to fund their research activities.
- PhD in Computer Science or a related discipline. PhD degree awarded by a recognized university outside the Czech or Slovak Republics is an advantage.
- Language skills: Fluency in English (both spoken and written) is required. Some knowledge of Czech or Slovak is an advantage.
- Excellent publication record.
- Excellent teaching skills. Previous experience with teaching in English at a recognized university outside the Czech and Slovak Republics is an advantage.
- At least six months of research experience abroad (outside of the Czech and Slovak Republics) is required and at least one year is strongly preferred. Longer experience is an advantage, preferably at more than one institution.
- Project leadership skills. Previous experience with research project leadership is an advantage.
Applicants should submit:
- CV, including a summary of work experience, publication activity, teaching, involvement in research grants, etc.
- PhD degree certificate.
- Cover letter explaining candidate's motivation and interest in obtaining the position.
- Title and abstract of a lecture that can be presented as a part of the application process.
- The names and contact details of three persons that can be asked for a letter of reference (at least one of them must be outside the Czech Republic).
Applications should be submitted through the university job e-Application system at https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/36126.