Three Years Post-Doctoral Position in Information Security
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU, https://www.ntnu.edu) invites applications for one post-doctoral position in information security connected to the establishment and development of a cyber range. The position is affiliated with the Department of Information Security and Communication Technology (IIK, http://www.ntnu.edu/iik) at the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (IE, http://www.ntnu.no/ie). The position will be located an Gjøvik and affiliated with NTNUs Center for Cyber and Information Security (CCIS, www.ccis.no).
Information about Department of Information Security and Communication Technology
The department has 22 tenured professors, 20 adjunct professors, 2 assistant professors, and about 30 PhD students and Postdocs. Research activities are organized in seven cross-disciplinary labs covering the academic areas of Internet of Things (IoT), Applied Cryptology, Intelligent Transport Systems, Quantifiable Performance and Dependability of Communication Systems, Biometry, Digital Forensics, and Information Security. The department provides teaching in BSc in IT Operations and Information Security, MSc programmes in Communication technology, Telematics, and Information Security, and PhD programmes in Telematics and Information Security.
The successful candidate will contribute to the design and realisation of a virtual environment (“cyber range”) for the study of and training in offensive and defensive capabilities in computer networks and will investigate innovative network structures both to support the fidelity of such networks and to provide capabilities of studying advanced networking models within the cyber range such as software-defined networks. Particular attention will be on incorporating heterogeneous edge networks, particularly for QoS requirements and their interactions resulting from changes in network topology and concomitant adjustments to forwarding policies and flows. The successful candidate will furthermore be expected to realise a research programme on offensive and defensive measures to be evaluated within the cyber range as well as supporting theoretical work. The candidate will need to liaise with appropriate authorities and should therefore hold Norwegian or NATO member state citizenship.
Qualifications required for the announced position
The successful candidate must satisfy the following requirements:
- A completed doctoral degree or completion within three months of starting the position in information security, computer science, or mathematics.
- Knowledge of information and telecommunications networks configuration and management
- Knowledge of network and software security
- High motivation for research work and ability to work independently.
- Good organizational and communication skills with interest in wider context of own research and ability to engage in cross-disciplinary and multinational teams.
- Eagerness to disseminate research results through publications and presentations at international conferences.
- Written and oral fluency in English.
- Norwegian or NATO member state citizenship
If the applicant’s mother tongue is not English or a Scandinavian language, and the PhD Degree is not from an English speaking country it is necessary to provide a proof of English skills. The following tests can be used as documentation of English language skills: TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
All successful candidates must be able to secure residence and work permit in Norway.
The university is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in employment practices, and we would particularly like to encourage female candidates to apply.
The position is in code 1352 Post doktor, salary grade range 57-72 in the Norwegian State salary scale, gross NOK 488,900 – 647,700 per year, depending on qualifications. A deduction of 2% is made as a statutory contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
We can offer
- an informal and friendly workplace with dedicated colleagues
- academic challenges
- attractive schemes for housing loan, insurance and pension in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
Living and working in Gjøvik
Information can be found via the following links:
- Living in Gjøvik: http://www.ntnu.edu/lifeandhousing/gjovik
- Living in the county of Oppland: http://www.gonorway.no/norway/counties/oppland/
- Map of NTNU in Gjøvik: https://www.ntnu.edu/gjovik/how-to-get-here
- About Campus Gjøvik: http://www.ntnu.edu/gjovik
NTNU wants to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background.
The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants.
The application must be sent electronically via this page (www.jobbnorge.no) with information about education and relevant experience (all in one combined PDF file).
The application should contain:
- The reference code (IE-111-2017) for the position
- A cover letter (1 page) explaining your motivation and how your skills and experience relate to the research focuses of the position applied for
- A draft research proposal outlining a possible approach for the position applied for (1 page).
- CV with a list of publications and English language test scores or other supporting documents (as proof of the candidates’ study and language abilities)
- Relevant transcripts of grades, diplomas, and certificates
- A description of the PhD work (1 page)
- Two letters of reference, preferably from academic supervisor(s).
For further information, please contact Associate Professor Basel Katt (email@example.com).
The application deadline is October 15, 2017.