Accelerator Physicist for Radio Frequency Operation and Beam Studies
Accelerator Physicist for Radio Frequency Operation and Beam Studies in the Beams Department (BE), Radio-Frequency Group (RF), BR section (BR).
You will join:
- The Beams Department (BE), which hosts the Groups responsible for beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimisation.
- The Radio-Frequency (BE-RF) Group (https://be-dep-rf.web.cern.ch/) of the BE department, responsible for the operation of all RF systems to accelerate and control the particle beams in all CERN synchrotrons and linear accelerators, including projects for future accelerators and upgrades to the existing installations.
- The Beams and RF (BE-RF-BR) Section within the RF Group deals with the interactions of various beams (protons, anti-protons and heavy ions) with RF systems and their environment in all CERN synchrotrons. The BR section is strongly involved in performance improvements and upgrades of existing accelerators as well as the design of RF systems for present and future CERN accelerators, see https://be-dep-rf.web.cern.ch/content/br-beams-rf-studies.
As an Accelerator Physicist for Radio Frequency Operation and Beam Studies in the BR Section, you will be part of the team running CERN's PS accelerator and its injectors (PSB, LEIR). In particular, you will contribute to the operation of the RF beam control and feedback systems. A large part of your work on existing synchrotrons will be the study of different performance limitations related to the RF systems and longitudinal beam dynamics (RF manipulations, beam loading, stability and others) and the means to push towards higher beam intensities with future upgrades. These studies will consist of participation in beam measurements during Machine Development (MD) sessions, followed by data analysis as well as analytical calculations and numerical simulations. This work will also involve the use and upgrade of existing beam observation systems and the development of new ones, as well as the follow-up of different RF upgrades.
To summarise, your main activity will be to follow-up in the PS the operational issues related to the beam control and feedback systems, to participate in studies and to propose and implement improvements.
After an initial learning period, you will:
- Set-up operational beams as well as beams with special parameters for various MD studies.
- Follow the operation of the LHC injector chain; maintain reference measurements for operational beams in the PS.
- Perform theoretical studies to analyse the longitudinal beam behaviour in the PS and its injectors.
- Maintain and support advanced longitudinal beam observation systems; suggest and implement improvements.
- Contribute to the upgrade of the beam control and feedback systems.
- Work closely with accelerator physicists, operations teams and RF power and hardware engineers to achieve the aforementioned tasks.
- Participate in the standby service for the beam control systems in the LHC pre-injectors.
Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the fields of electrical engineering or physics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience of working in the field of Radio Frequency.
- Proven experience of longitudinal beam dynamics simulations in particle accelerators.
- An initial experience in using beam observation systems.
- Operational experience with RF beam control systems would be an advantage.
- Experience in beam studies, data acquisition and analysis would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Knowledge of longitudinal single-particle dynamics.
- Knowledge of collective effects (beam-beam, space charge, cooling).
- Accelerator performance analysis and optimization.
- Beam dynamics simulation.
- Application of beam pick-up devices.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; being able to deal with ambiguous or unpredictable situations; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French; ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 25.10.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.