Professor in Hispanic Studies
Professor in Hispanic Studies (Grade 10)
As one of the UK’s leading universities, Durham is an incredible place in which to define your career and enjoy a high quality work/life balance. Benefitting from a fantastic location just 90 minutes south of Edinburgh, and less than three hours away from London, this historically rich city is home to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Durham Cathedral, dating back to the 11th century and is within close proximity of the beautiful Durham Dales. With a welcoming student body that numbers more than 17,000 and over 3,000 members of staff, this centre of academic excellence looks forward to welcoming your application.
Durham University is listed 4th in The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 and is widely lauded for the exceptional talent it harbours. Featuring in the top 100 World University Rankings 2017-2018, our students and academics are at the heart of our world-leading research and teaching capabilities, shaping the future with their ground-breaking work. The needs of our staff are taken care of too, with generous pension plans, assistance with childcare facilities, the option for flexible working and a Relocation Manager who can help settle you into this fantastic city.
Based in one of the UK’s largest and most successful Schools of Modern Languages, you will relish our collaborative, interdisciplinary environment. Hispanic Studies at Durham is consistently ranked in the top five of all major national league tables, and all staff are actively engaged in research and publication. Our investment and established strengths in this field are evident in initiatives such as the Zurbarán Centre for Spanish and Latin American Art. You will make a pivotal contribution to our culture of outstanding teaching and personal development, across both the graduate and undergraduate communities. As a key member of one or more of our many vibrant research groups, you will benefit from extensive support as you pursue world-class research. This will include opportunities to attend national and international conferences. All of these advantages will deepen your ability to provide truly exceptional teaching which is based, orientated or led by research.
- A good first-degree, complimented by a PhD in Hispanic Studies or a related subject.
- A track record of producing world-leading research, including a research plan which supports and enhances the activities of the department.
- A proven ability to lead national or international research groups and networks, and to mentor early career researchers.
- Experience of contributing significantly to the development of PhD programmes and the recruitment and excellent supervision of PhD students.
- Ideas to develop successful research project proposals, with the scope to secure funding or generate income and potential to make a far-reaching impact.
- Experience of leading and delivering high-quality and distinctive teaching in fluent English and Spanish across lectures and in smaller study groups, with HEA status.
- Confident leadership and communication skills, with the willingness to work collaboratively as part of a team.
How to apply:
We value and promote an inclusive and diverse working environment at Durham and we welcome applications from all individuals.
We prefer to receive applications online. For this role we are working with our partner organisation TMP (UK) Limited and your application will initially be submitted to TMP (UK) Limited via our website.
Please carefully read the job description for this post which outlines the documents which you will be required to submit, information about referees, contact details should you require further information and next steps including an indication of when interviews will take place.
For further information and to apply please visit https://www.dur.ac.uk/jobs/recruitment/
Closing date : 14th December 2017