Applied Physicist for Surface Analysis
Applied Physicist for Surface Analysis in the Technology Department (TE), Vacuum Surfaces and Coatings group (TE-VSC), Surfaces Coatings and Chemistry section (TE-VSC-SCC).
You will join:
- The Surface Coatings and Chemistry section (SCC), taking care of the surface and chemical analyses, thin film coatings by PVD and surface finishing. The surface analysis laboratory provides a CERN-wide support in subjects related to surface properties encountered in the development and operation of accelerators. The tasks encompass evaluation of performance of getter coatings, investigation of peculiar phenomena such as "beam scrubbing", measurements of secondary electrons yield (SEY) of coatings to prevent electron multipacting, identification of surface contamination in ultrahigh vacuum systems, and qualification of materials and surface finishing for vacuum chambers of accelerators.
As an applied physicist for surface analysis in the TE-VSC-SCC Section, you will:
- Play a leading role in the operation of the surface analysis systems in the dedicated laboratories of the section (XPS, SEY) and provide the interpreted results in technical reports to collaborators.
- Give advice in order to apply the best analytical methods for a required subject by collaborating with the teams in charge of chemical, physical-chemical and microscopy analysis.
- Take part in the R&D projects involving surface analysis and surface characterization for applications in the LHC, injectors and experiments of CERN.
- Coordinate the improvement of the existing facilities of surface analysis.
- Promote the collaborations with external institutes to access to surface analytical techniques which are not presently available at CERN.
- Write technical reports and scientific publications.
PhD (Doctorate) in the fields of physics or material science, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in operation of surface analysis instrumentation and surface characterization by electron spectroscopies.
- Demonstrated experience in surface analysis data handling and interpretation.
- Previous experience in a research and development environment.
- Proven experience in development of instrumentation to be used in ultrahigh vacuum.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Surface analysis: knowledge in fundamental and applied surface science.
- Knowledge of surface properties.
- Knowledge of materials for UHV technology: knowledge of instrumentation for UHV technology.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; actively seeking feedback on own performance and taking steps to improve it.
The language competencies required are:
- Good knowledge of English is required; ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 18.10.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 year(s). Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.