Electrical Technical Engineer
Electrical Technical Engineer in the Technology Department (TE), Cryogenics Group (CRG), Controls Electricity Section (CE).
The Cryogenics (TE-CRG) Group is in charge of the design, construction, commissioning and operation of the cryogenic systems for CERN accelerators and detectors, of the operation, maintenance and upgrade of cryogenic test facilities as well as of the management of the industrial support contract for maintenance and operation of cryogenic systems. It also provides support for low-temperature developments and tests at the Central Cryogenic Laboratory as well as consultancy and support in cryogenic design and cryogenic instrumentation.
Within the CRG group, the Controls and Electricity (CE) Section is responsible for providing the electrical and controls support for the cryogenic equipment:
- Several electrical low tension cabinets installed all over CERN.
- Industrial instrumentation for various signals such as pressure, temperature, flow transmitter and level gauges.
- Programmable logic controllers that pilot various cryogenic equipment such as electrical motors for helium compressors, turbines, valves and electrical heaters.
- An extensive and distributed SCADA system for local and remote supervision.
The section is a collaborative and direct support to the cryogenics operators (technicians and engineers) for fault diagnostic and optimization of thermos-dynamical process.
As a technical engineer specializing in electrical for industrial process control systems, particularly in the field of low tension electricity and automations, you will be a member of a multi-disciplinary team in the Controls and Electricity Section (CE). After an initial period of training you will take responsibility for the design, construction, implementation, configuration and support of the electrical process-control equipment for the CERN cryogenic infrastructure. The scope of this activity includes both new projects as well as the consolidation and renovation of the electrical system of existing installations.
- Develop, construct, install and commission complex electrical systems for large cryogenic plants.
- Participate in first line support, maintenance and in the upgrades of existing cryogenic electrical control systems.
- Organize the consolidation, emergency fault detection and repairs and intervene as member of a stand-by duty team.
- Manage the corresponding technical documentation.
The work requires collaboration with people and services inside and outside the Organization.
Bachelor in the field of electricity for industrial process control system, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in the low and medium voltage electrical industrial domains.
- Demonstrated experience in support and maintenance of highly automated electromechanical installations.
- Experience in maintenance using an informatics database tool, would be a major asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Electro-mechanical design.
- Commissioning and maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment: installation and commissioning of electromechanical installations.
- Maintenance and operation of electro-mechanical equipment: first line operational support of complex electro-mechanical equipment.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change; being willing to move from one project/group/department to another; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French; ability to draw-up technical specifications documentation and/or scientific reports.
- Basic knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.10.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 year(s). Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.