Electrical Engineer in the Technology Department (TE), Accelerator Beam Transfer Group (TE-ABT), Pulsed Power Engineering Section (TE-ABT-PPE).
Within the ABT group, the Pulsed Power Engineering Section (PPE) is a small and specialized team responsible for the fast pulsed beam transfer systems across the CERN accelerator complex. These systems comprise high voltage pulse generators, impedance matched transmission lines and low inductance electro-magnets. The PPE team is now seeking a motivated candidate to strengthen its constant effort to improve systems and performance, initially for the upgrade and consolidation of the LHC inject.
As an Electrical Engineer in the PPE Section, you will take responsibility for the study, design, development, testing, commissioning, exploitation and upgrading of fast pulsed systems for CERN's present and future accelerators.
- Contribute to the upgrade of the PS and SPS kicker systems.
- As a project engineer, take over the responsibility for management and follow up of dedicated upgrade and consolidation projects.
- Carry out analogue circuit simulations as well as numerical field calculations to produce engineering specifications for system upgrades and future pulsed power systems for the LHC injectors.
- Conduct optimization work on existing pulse forming systems, perform measurements on test platforms and follow up the assembly of spare units initially together with experienced CERN staff.
- Contribute to the integration of GTO switch stacks as well as hands on measurements and validation tests in the laboratory.
- Reinforce the project planning and supervise the deployment of the upgraded SPS dump kicker system in the SPS accelerator during the next long shutdown.
- Establish operational procedures and safety documentation.
- After an introduction period under the guidance of an experienced senior engineer, you will take over operational responsibilities for a dedicated fast-pulsed magnet system. You will also contribute to the group's standby service during operational periods.
Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the fields of electrical engineering, power electronics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in analogue circuit simulations and design of power electronics and resonant circuits.
- Demonstrated experience in carrying out measurements using an oscilloscope. In addition, experience with Vector Network Analysers will be an asset.
- Initial experience in finite element computation for electromagnetic fields.
- Experience in writing technical specifications.
- Experience in project management and work with industry or external laboratories will be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Analysis and modelling in power electronics.
- Electromagnetic calculation and modelling.
- Design of pulsed power systems.
- Electro-mechanical construction: of pulse-forming networks and high-voltage switches.
- Commissioning, maintenance and operation of power systems: including conducting measurements on pulsed power systems.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English; ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.10.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Professional Code / Code Professionnel
TECareer Path / Filière de Carrière
Grade 6 or 7