Dean in Research
Established in 2003, JCU Singapore offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs from James Cook University Australia. James Cook University Australia is recognized internationally as a leading research university and is ranked among the top 2% universities in the world(ARWU ranking). James Cook University focuses on providing high quality education that is both rewarding and fulfilling for students.
The campus is growing and very friendly and academic staff across the disciplines and administrative staff often interact. At any time, there are students on campus from at least 40 different countries, mainly from the region, but also including a growing cohort from Europe. Singapore is an interesting place to live and provides easy access to other countries in the region. The position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to expand their cultural experience, live in a fascinating and exciting city.
The Dean Research is responsible to the Deputy Vice Chancellor & Head of Campus Singapore for the quality and development of a research environment at James Cook University Singapore (JCUS) that aligns with JCUS Strategic Intent and which supports the values of excellence and relevance in research. With specific accountability for the strategic direction, operational performance and administration of research infrastructure, the Dean Research will ensure that the objectives and activities are integrated and aligned with the strategic priorities of JCUS.
The Dean Research will provide effective leadership, management, mentoring and professional development (including performance review) of staff, and optimise the use of available resources. The Dean Research will also provide senior leadership more broadly together with senior research leaders at James Cook University Australia (JCUA), and serve as a member of the Executive Management Group (EMG) of JCUS. The incumbent will continue to conduct and make a personal contribution to research.
The principal accountabilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide strategic direction and deliver policy and operational advice relating to research at JCUS.
- Support the Deputy Vice Chancellor & Head of Campus Singapore, Campus Dean and senior academic staff of JCUS to enhance the research culture of JCUS and to develop and maintain a staffing profile that positions JCUS for the future,
- Contribute to the development of academic staff, including the provision of advice in maximising funding for research in Singapore and internationally.
- Direct and prioritise the review, development and implementation of policies and processes that will enhance JCUS research performance, monitoring changes in policy and practices affecting research at the national and international levels.
- Contribute to the effective and efficient strategic planning, leadership, management and operation of the research infrastructure ensuring the achievement of organisational objectives and programs, including oversight of the budget, and ensuring recommendations, advice and guidance lead to continuous improvement. Work closely with the Division of Research and Innovation at JCUA.
- Develop the JCUS Research Plan, including identifying and supporting research initiatives and strategies that promote JCU’s Strategic Intent.
- Establish, maintain and promote collaborative working relationships with a broad range of stakeholders across the JCUS and JCUA community, JCUS collaborating institutions and externally with particular emphasis within the Singapore context.
- Promote a partnership approach within areas of responsibility by providing effective, leadership, management, mentoring and professional development, (including performance review), establishing a culture of teamwork, transparency and openness, maintaining strong communication channels at all times.
- Utilise technical knowledge, interpersonal skills and creativity and operate with considerable autonomy, exercising a high level of responsibility to make decisions and resolve a diversity of complex issues which arise, or are delegated from the Deputy Vice Chancellor & Head of Campus Singapore.
- Ensure business risks are identified and managed through effective risk management strategies and operations.
- Actively develop and implement strategies and processes that meet JCUS’s objective to be administratively light, designed to reduce the administrative burden which impacts on academic staff.
- Pursue research opportunities and demonstrate growth in a personal research profile.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Lead, support, and promote the inclusion of sustainability initiatives in all aspects of operations, including supporting and engaging in commitment to JCUS sustainability goals and objectives.
Key Selection Criteria
- A PhD or equivalent such as high level academic qualifications of international standing, and relevant publications, materials development, consultancy, research or evaluation grants, awards for teaching and/or similar accomplishments.
- Demonstrated superior leadership and management skills and proven experience in leading and managing a team, including the ability to manage organisational, cultural and systemic change.
- Expert knowledge and a strong understanding of strategic directions within the research arena and the applicability to JCUS’s strategic direction.
- Demonstrated ability to actively manage, prioritise, drive and cultivate a culture in which research will flourish and expand, contribute to the development of academic staff and to facilitate the development of interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary programs of research.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing research policies and procedures that may have broad implications across the institution.
- Demonstrated experience and ability in successful collaboration and obtaining funding from key government bodies and private enterprises in Singapore and Australia.
- A strong customer focus with demonstrated facilitation, interpersonal, negotiation and networking skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective, collaborative and productive partnerships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to perform high level strategic planning, program and managerial functions with clear accountability for performance and quality management.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills, particularly the ability to articulate concepts and present complex analysis with clarity and professionalism.
Enquiries: Associate Professor Abhishek Bhati, Campus Dean; Tel: +65 6709 3710 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment type: Full time position subject to Ministry of Man power Singapore jurisdiction and probationary period
Remuneration conditions: Attractive package negotiated with successful applicant-(including relocation expenses, initial accommodation costs)-commensurate with qualifications and experience. Candidates should note relatively lower Singapore taxation rates and possibility of annual-wage-supplement equal to a month’s salary at end of calendar year.
Dean Research: SGD235 000 per annum – SGD332 000 per annum
Method of Application
Applications should provide all of the following:
- up-to-date CV including research record
- full statement of qualifications
- statement systematically addressingthe Selection Criteria
- teaching profile
- recent teaching evaluations
- completed Summary Application Form
Please state position and reference number applying for in subject header and send application to email@example.com
Closing Date: 1 October 2017
We thank you for your interest and regret we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates.The University reserves the right to invite applications or, alternatively, not to make an appointment.
The Singapore campus of James Cook University (registered as James Cook University Pte Ltd in Singapore) is a wholly owned company of James Cook University Australia. The University offers Bachelor & Master Programs in Business, Psychology, Information Technology & Education at the Singapore campus of James Cook University.