Clinical Academic Avian Medicine AREPH
School of Veterinary Science
Faculty of Science
- Join an organisation that encourages progressive thinking
- Be valued for your exceptional knowledge and experience in avian medicine
- Full time, fixed term for 3 years (further offers subject to funds and need) remuneration package: up to $177k p.a. which includes leave loading and up to 17% super)
About the opportunity
This leadership-position operates within the School of Veterinary Science’s (SSVS) with the role primarily located at the Avian, Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital (AREPH), a specialist exotic and wildlife service which is part of the Camden Veterinary Teaching Hospital. The SSVS is the leading Veterinary Science in the Southern Hemisphere being ranked 11th in the world. The SSVS is part of the Faculty of Science of the University of Sydney.
The SSVS provides a range of postgraduate degree programs in veterinary and associated disciplines. The Teaching hospitals provide the clinical learning experience for students and staff engaged in professional training programs. The hospitals are commercial centres and provide a range of veterinary services to the public.
In addition to the clinical services and instruction, this role is the designated head of the AREPH Hospital manages a clinical master’s student and the support staff within the Service. For more information about AREPH Hospital please refer to http://www.avianreptileandexoticpethospital.com.au/
The position reports to the Commercial and Clinical Services Director for the UVTHC for business and performance and to the Veterinary Directory for teaching, research, clinical standards and biosecurity issues covered under the Veterinary Practice Act NSW. Support to the role is provided by the Hospital Manager, Camden for operational issues including human resources, rostering and administration.
Key responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Contribute to all aspects of teaching in avian and exotic pet medicine including planning, design, delivery, management and evaluation of student learning, through lectures, practicals, tutorials and on-line learning, provision of assessment tasks, including timely assessment and feedback.
- Provide excellent avian and exotic pet services in the Schools Faculty’s veterinary hospitals for inpatients, outpatients and ambulatory cases.
- Develop an expanding client base for the Hospitals’ avian and exotic medicine services by effective service delivery, engagement with referring veterinarians and participating in promotional activities
- Supervise and mentor more junior veterinary staff including overseeing the training program for a Clinical Masters Student in Avian Medicine
- Lead clinical research programmes in equine surgery and support other research in the Faculty.
- Work with the Commercial Director and UVTHC Marketing Officer in the development of online and direct promotional events to raise awareness of the service, educate the local community and build caseload for the service
- Provide clinical advice after-hours regarding hospital in-patients and support after hours activities as required
- Contribute to development and implementation of Hospital’s strategic plans
- Undertake administrative functions in relation to the operation of the AREPH
As a clinical academic provide specialist level quality avian and exotic animal clinical services and teaching to the School of Veterinary science in support of the newly established DVM. Supervise the combined Master’s (clinical and research) residency program in Avian Medicine based at Camden.
The appointee will advance knowledge in Avian Medicine through research, supervision of post-graduate students and other scholarly activities, actively participating in the School’s clinical research program and didactic and practical teaching programs. A Vaccination record will be required prior to appointment.
To provide strategic and operational leadership to the Avian, Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital a unique purpose built facility and Hospital service dedicated to the treatment and care of exotic animals and wildlife in a way which meets clients and student’s needs and which to achieve agreed targets and goals of the School, Faculty and University. We are looking for a Clinical Academic Avian Medicine AREPH/ Clinical Associate Professor /Senior Lecturer in Avian Medicine who possesses demonstrated expertise in the following:
ESSENTIAL CRITERIA LEVEL C and D:
- Experience in delivery of clinical referral service in a large referral centre or teaching hospital.
- A veterinary degree registrable in NSW.
- Specialist qualification in Avian Medicine and possession of Fellowship of the Australian & New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists OR Diplomate of ACVIM or ECVIM, enabling registration as a specialist in NSW and commitment to register as a Specialist in Avian Medicine in NSW
- Experience in provision of clinical training and didactic teaching
- Willingness to participate in after-hours clinical service.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to foster a collegial culture for teaching, research and service delivery
- Postgraduate research experience relevant to Avian Medicine.
- Publications relevant to Avian Medicine.
ESSENTIAL CRITERIA FOR LEVEL D (DESIRABLE FOR LEVEL C)
- Experience leading and managing avian and /or exotic medicine services in a University or large specialist practice environment
- Track record of supportive & effective postgraduate and undergraduate teaching
- Willingness and skills provide leadership in teaching and clinical service
- Proven ability to attract and retain a large referral caseload
- Strong track record of publications and development of clinical research programs
- Supervision of residency training and other training programs in surgery and related disciplines.
- Experience in curriculum development.
DESIRABLE FOR LEVEL D
- Experience in supervision of research higher degree students
- Proven capability to secure research funding
The position is full-time fixed term for 3 years Level C/D depending on candidate’s experience. Further contracts may be offered subject to performance and need, and availability of funds.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm 08 October (Sydney time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.