Dental Services Receptionist
Description of Work Unit
The CSU Health Network at Colorado State University provides a full range of cost effective, on-campus, mental health and primary care medical services, referral for community specialty care and comprehensive health education and prevention services’ programming. Services such as physical therapy, dentistry and optometry, are available. The CSU Health Network is active in creating a healthy campus environment to support learning and success. For more information about the CSU Health Network at Colorado State University, see http://www.health.colostate.edu.
The Dental Clinic at the CSU Health Network provides affordable, convenient, quality care to students and their spouses and domestic partners. The Clinic provides a full range of dental services including preventive, diagnostic, restorative and adjunctive treatment. Digital x-rays are available, as well as oral cancer screening and tooth whitening. The Dental Clinic is staffed by licensed dentists, registered dental hygienists and certified dental assistants. Services are provided at reduced rates compared to community providers; patients may pay at time of service or utilize their university student account. The Dental Clinic is open between the hours of 7:30 am-4:30 pm Monday-Thursday, 7:30-12:00 Friday with reduced hours over summer and breaks, providing attractive work schedules for staff.
This Dental Reception position serves as the initial contact with students and spouses (the qualified patient population at CSU) who have dental needs that can be provided by Dental Services. This position performs essential job duties related to patient Check-in and Check-Out, patient appointments, patient referrals and navigation of care, dental assisting and instrument sterilization, inventory management, reporting, and various administrative functions.
This position is scheduled 35 hours weekly during the Academic Year and 20-25 hours weekly during student breaks. The work schedule may vary between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
CSU offers full benefits which include Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement programs and more. The University’s Commitment to Campus benefits program offers a wide range of programs, discounts and special benefits available to eligible faculty and staff. For more detailed information about CSU benefits, visit http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/ and http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/fap-insplans-new.pdf.
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- Two full-time years (24 months) of medical/dental office experience. The required two years of medical/dental office experience could be any or a combination of reception, billing, records or dental assisting.
Highly sought applicants will have many of the following:
- Experience with dental assisting in a general dentistry environment, preferably having graduated from a Dental Assisting Training Program
- Experience with student-patient population, including University eligibility requirements (fees, immunizations and travel)
- Experience working in Higher Education
- Three (3) months experience working in a Electronic Health Record system performing the duties of scheduling, insurance input, posting medical charges and answering billing questions
- Ability to communicate benefits and answer questions for students regarding CSU’s Student Health Insurance and the waiver processes done at every term
- Experience with commercial health insurance, billing and coding
- Experience using Eaglesoft or similar dental software
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Patient Check-in/Check-out Duty/Responsibility
- Assist with checking in patients, providing the necessary forms in hard copy or electronic for them to complete and determine if they have completed their health history, HIPAA privacy forms, and other office forms
- Gather health insurance information for billing purposes when needed
- Verify insurance eligibility for the clinic and discuss coverage with patient
- Provide guidance for walk-in patients
- Provide directions for questions and locations to all patients, parents and staff
- Check the student’s university eligibility and fees prior to checking them in
- Explain the university fees if the student has not yet paid for the health fee
- Provide guidance for patients through the facility and assist in the access to care of all students
Percentage Of Time 20% Job Duty Category Patient Appointments Duty/Responsibility
- Determine appointment type, length and provider type based on needs described by the patient
- Manage walk-in traffic to determine for which clinic the patient needs to be directed
- Give patient all necessary pre-appointment information
Percentage Of Time 20% Job Duty Category Other Duties Duty/Responsibility
- Answer phones
- Manage department mail
- Determine the validity of the information exchange and records releases that are on file for requested information; prior to releasing information, determine if a release is on file or if one is needed
- Protect the legal interests of the patient by limiting access to and release of confidential information as mandated by law and HIPAA guidelines
- Assist with input of health history forms that have not been done electronically
- When no code is present the appropriate documents are routed to the provider to assist the billing department
- Ensure the records go to the correct email address and maintain a log of transactions for the releases in support of any records release
- Collect payment from patients
- Supports new staff by training on the EHR and essential functions
- Manage communications and relationships with vendors
- Organize and track required training for staff members
Percentage Of Time 25% Job Duty Category Referrals and Navigation of Care Duty/Responsibility
- Provide and track referrals given to community providers
- Teach and assist students in contacting their insurance carriers with questions or requests for preauthorization
Percentage Of Time 10% Job Duty Category Dental Assisting and Instrument Sterilization Duty/Responsibility
- Periodically help with back office procedures including but not limited to: chairside assisting with doctor, chairside hygiene assisting, taking xrays, polishing teeth, instrument sterilization, restocking operatories, cleaning operatories, operatory/procedure setup, oral hygiene instruction
Percentage Of Time 10% Job Duty Category Inventory Management Duty/Responsibility
- Work with back office staff and dental supply companies to keep office and dental supplies stocked
- Manage invoices with accounting department
Percentage Of Time 10% Job Duty Category Reports Duty/Responsibility
- Create and run production and budget reports for provider usage
- Generate monthly and year-end reports using dental software
Percentage Of Time 5%
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties you have performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the Work Experience section on the application. Human Resources must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that Human Resources can calculate full-time work experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the Application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- Positions requiring a degree or if using education as a substitution for work experience (eg: Associate or Bachelor’s) transcripts are required in order to verify receipt of the required degree or coursework. If official or unofficial transcripts are not supplied at the time of application, the Application is incomplete.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application; however, some positions may still require a resume as a component for complete application materials.
**Please see the Required Documents section of the posting.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check the Deleted and Junk folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your Application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the Help link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office HR_Employment@mail.colostate.edu.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Use, Handling, or Exposure to hazardous materials
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.