Customer Service Specialist
Description of Work Unit
This half-time, 12-month position is located within the Office of the Registrar, Division of Enrollment and Access. The Office of the Registrar provides leadership and service in student enrollment and academic record management that supports recruitment, retention and graduation goals of Colorado State University.
The half-time Customer Service Specialist position serves primarily as a customer service resource to Colorado State University’s constituents.
Primary responsibilities include helping students, faculty, staff, family members/support-givers and external constituents to navigate obstacles. Most of the work day is spent problem solving: assisting others to identify specific issues, providing recommendations and guidance on options for resolution, and selecting guiding principles/policies and adapting them to the individual issue. Research and investigation are significant components of this process.
This is achieved by answering the telephone (80% of the work day), website chat, in-person consultations, and email questions concerning the following issues: registration, holds, overrides, major changes, university policies, appeals, transcript orders, diplomas, grade entry, RAMrecords requests, password resets, and other general questions.
Further job duties may include overseeing email communication to departmental representatives concerning end-of-term grade submission, resolution for “null” grades, maintaining transcript accounting records, and creating and distributing the quarterly Registrar’s Office Updates. Other responsibilities may include processing daily transcript requests and addressing transcripts held in suspense. This position also coordinates various other special programs and projects within the Office of the Registrar. The anticipated work hours are Monday-Friday, 10am-2pm.
Minimum three years full-time work experience providing customer service in an academic setting, of which must have included one year of experience working in higher education as a first-point of contact.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for the required full-time customer service work experience.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree
- Experience (student staff experience acceptable) working in higher education in a college or university Office of the Registrar, Enrollment Services area, Academic Affairs, or related department that maintains student records.
- Experience working with administrative student information systems: preferably Ellucian (SunGard) Banner systems (Banner Student, Banner Document Management and Banner Workflow) and CollegeSource systems (u.achieve, u.achieve planner, Transferology).
- Demonstrated experience taking initiative to identify and solve problems.
- Experience managing multiple computer programs/screens quickly and efficiently.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and relevant ability with culturally diverse communities among potential target and constituent populations.
- Ability to communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing, in complex situations.
- Experience working on collaborative projects and building relationships with both internal and external constituents.
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Problem Solving Duty/Responsibility
- Serve as professional staff in Office of the Registrar Customer Service area assisting customers on the telephone (80% of the work day), website chat, in person, and email.
- Interact in a positive and friendly manner, demonstrating exceptional interpersonal skills, while engaging with internal and external constituents and colleagues.
- Assist students, faculty, staff, family members/support-givers and external constituents to navigate obstacles.
- Spend most of workday problem solving: identifying specific student, staff, or faculty issues; providing recommendations and guidance on options for resolution; selecting guiding principles/policies and adapting them to the individual issue.
- Troubleshoot issues related, but not limited to, the following topics: course registration, holds, overrides, major changes, academic records, transfer equivalencies, status of diplomas, transcripts, university policies, appeals, password resets and grade submission processes using student information system Banner/ARIES and other resources. Identify core problem and coach end-user to complete transaction in RAMweb or ARIESweb or to follow appropriate process.
- Advise students, parents/support-givers, faculty, and staff on University policies regarding Colorado State University’s application of FERPA utilizing the CSU General Catalog, the CSU policy website and other available resources.
- Answer questions regarding access to current student records (RAMweb); create and provide instruction on use of RAMrecords accounts for alumni and former students, as needed.
- Research and problem solve (analyze root causes of problems, identify trends and recurring problems, and suggest resolutions) to address issues related to responsibilities maintained by this position and as necessary for success of department.
Percentage Of Time 80 Job Duty Category Additional duties Duty/Responsibility
- Contact departmental representatives, faculty, deans, directors, and department heads concerning end-of-term grade submission; initiate resolution for “NG” and “null” grades.
- Record and update auto-attendant greetings, creating basic rules and general troubleshooting. Maintain telephone queue statistics.
- Maintain and update Training Manual (for customer service area) and Job Aids for work functions.
- Maintain accounting documentation to include: previous day’s records, front and back cash register tape, and updating accounting/balancing report; handle cash according to procedures; comply with vault procedures.
- Process transcript requests via mail and in-person; address transcripts held in suspense.
Percentage Of Time 10 Job Duty Category Special Projects Duty/Responsibility
- Research issues and present proposals at the request of the Office of the Registrar Leadership.
- Provide feedback to Office of the Registrar Leadership on development of new university policies, student tools, and systems impacting overall student experience in regard to student registration and records.
- Coordinate various Office of the Registrar special projects.
- Assist department managers and leadership team with projects upon request.
- Other duties as assigned.
Percentage Of Time 10
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the “Work Experience” section on the application. We must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that we can calculate full-time experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening. **Please see the “Required Documents” section of the posting.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a complete application; however, resumes may still be required as a component of complete application materials.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which often requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check in your Junk and Deleted folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the “Help” link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office at the main phone line: 970-491-MyHR (6947).
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.