Description of Work Unit
Conference & Event Services invites applications for the position of Business Manager. Conference & Event Services assists over 100 programs each year ranging in size from under 10 to over 7,000 participants. The department of Housing and Dining Services is a comprehensive auxiliary enterprise and includes Conference & Event Services, Residence Life, Residential Dining, Apartment Life, Operations Management, and CSU’s Mountain Campus.
The Business Manager of Conference & Event Services (CES) provides research, analysis and guidance for all fiscal processes and procedures for the department as well as excellent customer service to CES clients and staff. Analytical skills and evaluating complex data will be required regularly in this position. This position will establish internal controls and will set internal policy in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and University standards. This position will work directly with the department Director in planning, monitoring and reporting budget and financial performance. In addition to the primary duties listed above, this position will provide financial coordination for CES clients and supplemental financial coordination support for other CES staff. This position will also provide financial processing for the CSU Mountain Campus.
Three years of full-time experience providing financial management of which included budgetary, accounts receivable/payable, payroll, and reconciliation duties.
Two years of college, non-correspondence business school which included 18 semester credit hours of accounting can substitute for up to two years of the required experience.
Please Note: If using education to substitute for some of the required experience, transcripts MUST be attached to your application.
The highly desired candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, abilities, personal characteristics, and experience directly related and critical to this position:
- Experience using the Financial Database Systems (Kuali specifically).
- Experience working within the State of Colorado travel guidelines
- Experience performing financial management within a university or college setting
- Experience with budget and contract management
- An expressed and demonstrated commitment to diversity
- Customer service skills
- Proficient use of MS Excel with the demonstrated ability to manage and create spreadsheets
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple deadlines and work priorities
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Financial Management Duty/Responsibility
- Develop financial processes, procedures and reports that comply with University and state policies and procedures to ensure sound fiscal management for the department
- Maintain and monitor as many as 150 event accounts annually from account creation to account closure and document retention
- Process deposits and payments, to and from event clients, campus partners, and service providers and maintain a central spreadsheet to determine total revenue distribution
- Initiate, monitor, approve and reallocate campus PCard and state travel cards for CES staff and event clients
- Reconcile all account revenues and expenses for three departmental accounts
- Complete monthly reconciliation of accounts receivable, credit card clearing, collections, and bad debt accounts as well as create entries for fiscal year end
- Advise and assist Director with development of annual budget figures as well as monthly budget updates
- Assist in developing the Durrell and Guest Services Team budgets
- Review and advise staff on event liability insurance requirements and tax exempt statuses for each event
- Review and advise on vendor and service provider contracts and purchases
- Oversee all cash handling including petty cash and a change fund
Percentage Of Time 70 Job Duty Category Financial Event Coordination Duty/Responsibility
- Manage all aspects of 5-10 financial management events per year including initial proposal, contracting, budgeting, final invoice preparation and account closing
- Assist in financial coordination for other CES staff as needed
- Coordinate travel for all event accounts, event participants and CES staff travel
- Arrange special pay for all event accounts including payroll, honorarium and supplemental pay
Percentage Of Time 22 Job Duty Category Mountain Campus Financial Assistance Duty/Responsibility
- Initiate, monitor, approve and reallocate PCards and State Travel Cards for Mountain Campus staff
- Process disbursements
- Arrange travel for CSU Mountain Campus staff
- Process payments and maintain records for the CSU Mountain Campus getaways
Percentage Of Time 8
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties you have performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the Work Experience section on the application. Human Resources must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that Human Resources can calculate full-time work experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the Application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- Positions requiring a degree or if using education as a substitution for work experience (e.g.: Associate or Bachelor’s) transcripts are required in order to verify receipt of the required degree or coursework. If official or unofficial transcripts are not supplied at the time of application, the Application is incomplete.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application; however, some positions may still require a resume as a component for complete application materials.
**Please see the Required Documents section of the posting.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from email@example.com. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check the Deleted and Junk folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your Application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the Help link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office (970) 491-MyHR(6947).
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.